A tool like Ubuntu-Tweak for Mint Debian should be developed.

tanmays
  9 years ago
  Implemented

One thing I like on Ubuntu is the ubuntu-tweak third party tweaking tool. It helps adding third-party repositories (PPAs) and applications.

On Mint Debian, I think such an tool will be helpful for newbies.

Latest comments
RayWoods 7 years ago

New > implemented

passstab 8 years ago

thanks but what are the adverse effects ?

yagolf 8 years ago

@passtab: you might want to have a look at this: http://blog.anantshri.info/howto-add-ppa-in-debian/
I haven't tried it myself yet, but I'm planning to download LMDE and test it in virtualbox. we'll see what happens.

gregology 8 years ago

I really like ubuntu-tweak. gnome-tweak-tool is no where near as powerful but simple for newbies.

passstab 8 years ago

aren't ppas incompatible with debian anyways?
(please tell my I'm wrong I'll switch immediately:)

mikefreeman 8 years ago

True, there is Ailurus (they gotta come up with a better name - Ailurus doesn't exactly roll off the tongue). I think Ubuntu Tweak is much simpler, and less intimidating for a newbie, though. This means it can't do as much, but that's part of what makes it such a great tool for new-user-oriented distros like Mint. They can do the moderate-level things without having to worry about making too many mistakes with the more advanced-level things.

Also, there are some things that Ubuntu Tweak does that Ailurus doesn't, such as present and install PPA's for software that doesn't exist in the main repositories or have newer versions, configure basic Compiz settings, Me Menu settings, etc. Those would be extremely useful for new users, but they're not in Ubuntu Tweak.

Perhaps getting in touch with the Ubuntu Tweak author about making a Debian Tweak might be good.

Troken 8 years ago

I sure miss a gui for many tweaks and the like. Really important if you want to convert people from Windows to Mint. I know by experience that the terminal can scare many people away.

I will however try Ailurus, maybe it has all what Im looking for.

frankeinstein 9 years ago

Alexio is correct, if you want "ubuntu-tweak" for LMDE then Ailurus works fine for your tweaking needs, be it Ubuntu based or Debian.

Alexio 9 years ago

Ailurus can be used as an Ubuntu Tweak alternative because Ailurus is not only specific for Ubuntu.

Gotenks 9 years ago

Mint all ready comes with things tweak was designed to do. However things like pulling the latest daily chrome builds for example could be easier...