Suggestions to make LMDE better (also this might be a howto for ATI R600 cards)

ckristi
  9 years ago
  Considered

Firstly, some cosmetic point of view... LMDE definitely needs a bootsplash.

Now, on a more serious note, after logging in I have discovered there is no direct rendering for my video card, although in Linux Mint 9 it worked OK. For solving this issue I have installed the missing package libgl1-mesa-dri from the repository. This brought my video card (a Radeon 2600 XT, with an r600 chipset) back to 3D life.

Even with this done, compiz was not enabled by default. I tricked GNOME in doing so by adding "export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/compiz" into the file ~/.gnomerc. This might be solved for all the users by adding the .gnomerc into /etc/skel. Of course, if there is a better method, please use that instead. :-)

Also there will be a need for a default sane compiz configuration, as even with the variable WINDOW_MANAGER set into .gnomerc compiz did not act as expected before tweaking it in the control center.

Another issue that I have found to be a little bit troublesome would be the lack of updates for the softwares in the linuxmint.com repository.
Firefox is at version 3.6.8 in the linuxmint.com repository, while upstream is at version 3.6.10. From a security point of view this may affect the security-conscious people that will run LMDE.
Latest comments
RayWoods 7 years ago

Unfortunately this Idea(s) has been overtaken by time or other ideas so I'm going to mark it as Rejected.

One point though, if you have a problem with hardware and find a fix, there is a place for it either in the Hardware Section or as a Tutorial.

New > Rejected