Default settings

noeyx
  9 years ago
  Selected

It would be better that every preferences and administration window has a button that would set all settings into their default. This would make Linux Mint more newbie friendly.
Latest comments
dagon 7 years ago

new -> considered

passstab 8 years ago

probably with a deletion of ~/.fooapp

blueXrider 8 years ago

Smoke'n idea.

prativasic 8 years ago

Whether some of us agree or not Mint is Ubuntu in most of the ways. But Mint comes with a handy software selection a very good default look and many other small changes. Now, I love Mint more than ubuntu for these small changes and its default settings which is different and of course better than ubuntu.
Now since I love the default look and settings of Mint, I must want to stick around to that settings. But, as you know, since there is no "Reset to Defaults" button in anything in Mint, I mess up most of the time with settings and then google about it how to restore where I was.
I think it's a good thought to give newbies like me to give some preference to examine settings such that we can always revert to default settings. Thanks noeyx for this idea. Hope it'll be implemented soon.

frankeinstein 9 years ago

Nice idea, this would definitely help newcomers, sometimes the best way to learn is to fiddle about with your system, but being scared you might break something and not be able to correct it deters new users from trying new things. Most of what I know about computers in general has come from calamitous mistakes turned into knowledge.

RayWoods 9 years ago

If this were implemented I think it would be more likely to encourage users to play with the system more and therefore learn more about Linux in general. I must admit, when I first started migrating from Windows to Linux, I became quite expert at doing an installation, all because I couldn't get something to work again after playing with the system.