MintPowerManager

lollo6_83
  9 years ago
  Considered

According to my experience, one of the few weak points of Linux is the power management for many laptops. I suggest a MintPowerManager tool to improve the standard power manager and customize in more details the power usage.

For example creating different profiles with a customized combination of display brightness, video card and processor frequencies, timer for suspend, hibernation or turn off monitor.
Latest comments
sadhu44 5 years ago

synaptic reports, re gnome-power-manager:
GNOME power manager ... can trigger suspend-to-RAM, hibernate or shutdown events, all integrated to other components of the GNOME desktop.

===

yeah, but WHEN??? When the batteries run flat????? (that's what happens on my machine, at 1 to 2%.) How about some kind of alarm, preferably in a modal popup window which would appear even in a fullscreen application. A regular notification that slides up from the panel wouldn't be visible (when watching a VLC video in fullscreen).

sadhu44 5 years ago

Mint 17 powermanger operation is close to being intolerable. I was working on my notebook, with it unplugged from AC by accident, when all of a sudden it shut down without warning. After plugging it in, I find that the battery level was 1-2% !!! :twisted: :evil: :x It is very hard on batteries to run them flat. Better to start recharging much earlier. It is for this reason that i purchased a second battery for my machine.

I have run purposely on battery before, but I have to keep glancing at the panel to check the battery level. But if I am running an app in full-screen mode, there is no panel to monitor. And why should I have to monitor it, anyway? I thought that's what computers are for...

LM absolutely MUST pop up some kind of battery warning, because without it LM will damage my hardware (batteries) by allowing them to discharge excessively. And there HAS to be some kind of setting for battery level alarms.

I installed laptop-mode-config-tool as someone suggested, and when I clicked it several times, nothing happened. Turns out it needs to run under root, but it doesn't have an "authorization required" popup... GRRRR. And it is merely a bunch of checkboxes, presumably some kind of options; no way to set power alarm levels.

I've tried xfce and prefer mint. I have also tried ubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu but prefer mint for its reliability. Still, this power management stuff is a serious shortcoming. A debacle, IMO.

-sadhu

bladouze_mint 6 years ago

good idea !

such a shame, linux was always ahead for the technical things, and now it's also behing

Yuri_Hyuga 7 years ago

Very good idea. I really enjoy to have such profil for my laptop.

RayWoods 8 years ago

Really, nice as the idea is, it is outside the gift of the Linux Mint Development Team. Sorry.

New > Rejected

Jaboba_ja 8 years ago

i would love this, I am new to Linux and im used to getting 5 to 6 hours on battery from Windows 7, but with Linux i get 1.5 maybe. this feature would definitely make me use Linux more often then i already do.

lollo6_83 9 years ago

Yes, the new kernel looks better than the 2.6.38, but the idea is to collect all the options available from the kernel to customize the power consumption and performances. There are already some specific tools for the processor or the graphic card or the screen in linux and a MintPowerManager is supposed to control all of them together in my idea.

blueXrider 9 years ago

You should see some improvement with the new kernel. The old one was known for power degradation of battery life.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/520

kardin 9 years ago

Toshiba has a Ecopower Manager preinstalled with Microsoft OS, which makes their laptops and netbooks battery stand for longer periods. I haven't seen that yet in any Linux OS and there is a lot of people that cares about this topic. It would be a very important achievement for Mint and for Linux in general if we could invent that.

lollo6_83 9 years ago

Yes, exactly. The idea is to have a tool that collects together all the power-management available options and manages them by customizable profiles. Changing the profile can be automatic, if some event happens (for example battery below some level, connection to AC power ecc), or selected by the user (for example presentation profile, performance profile ecc).

Xyie 9 years ago

If not included in a release, this could be a great tool to have available in the repositories. I'm not sure, but from what you describe I think it's just a matter of pulling all the options you need for it into one tool.

m4daredsun 9 years ago

Great idea! This would be something very useful for all netbooks & notebooks. The options in the current Power Manager are very limited with few customization possibilities.