Provide a way to manage fonts easily

Alexio
  10 years ago
  Selected

A font management application for the GNOME desktop installed by default may be useful.
Latest comments
Qruqs 8 years ago

Running software manager and typing a few characters to search for a font manager works just as well. We don't need no bleeding "default bloat" added.

RayWoods 9 years ago

In the past I have always dumped my font files into a ./font directory in my home directory but I can see that it would add polish to the distribution if there was a simple GUI tool to do this for users.

New > Considered

blueXrider 10 years ago

While I may have misspoke earlier.
The Font Manager is in the repositories and I downloaded it. I changed the system fonts and feel I may be able to read them a little clearer now.

Unable to register fonts with specific applications. I will look into that however.

Alexio 10 years ago

Indeed, this is useful if you are constantly working with fonts for specific purposes. There is always the possibility to install some software like FontMatrix or Fonty Python.

However, my idea is about including by default an easy to use font management software for the new users.

blueXrider 10 years ago

I see your point. However I don't think its essential. For most the default fonts are enough.

Alexio 10 years ago

@blueXrider - Font management means more than just installing fonts.

I would like to add more items to the list from my previous post:
- protect fonts that are required by the system by preventing them from being uninstalled,
- export "Collections" to a PDF "fontbook",
- print font samples or font books illustrating some or all of the fonts on the system,
- find and uninstall corrupt fonts,
- view fonts that are not currently installed,
- edit font metadata,
- convert fonts to a different format,
- easily search on-line collections to download and install some new fonts,
- search for fonts meeting specific criteria,
- sort fonts according to different criteria.

blueXrider 10 years ago

I imported .ttf and .TTF directly from win7, clicked and installed. Whats the problem?

In GNOME you can open Nautilus and type fonts:/// in the address bar and simply drop them in there, once X is restarted they should work. Or you can put them in a proper dir in /usr/share/fonts yourself and they should work as well when X is restarted. http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/38154-how-install-fonts.html

Alexio 10 years ago

@RedGhost - By managing fonts I understand what the Font Manager utility allows the user to do:
- preview and compare installed fonts,
- easily install or remove fonts,
- easily activate and de-activate installed fonts,
- specify different directories to search for fonts,
- group fonts into "Collections", and easily activate or de-activate groups of fonts,
- export "Collections" to an archive for easy backup and sharing,
- provide quick access to all GNOME font utilities.

RedGhost 10 years ago

Currently you just have to click on the font file and it will open in a viewer which has an install button which will install the font easily for you.

Steampunk-Nick 10 years ago

good idea

kazztan0325 10 years ago

You can install Font-Manager by Ubuntu Tweak, though it has not become Mint's default yet.

wanda 10 years ago

Very good idea.

Tonya 10 years ago

It will be very good to have a Font Manager somewhere in the Control Centre.

orionthehunter 10 years ago

IIRC This is available in Windows and OS X by default. Essential feature parity is a good idea.

DJCrashdummy 10 years ago

yes... a font-manager will be nice! but the essential thing is a very easy way to install new fonts!!!
--> if this is not easy usable by real newbies i will prefer a own section in the software-manager like in ubuntu!

Boringbytes 10 years ago

An easy to use, readily accessible font manager is a GREAT idea, and should be included In The basic Mint installation.

(I haven't tried the font manager you mention here, but will give it a go, and add my opinion of it to this post later.) Whatever font management utility The community decided on, would have to be very easy for the end user to use for basic font management tasks like installing, un-installing, browsing and viewing All the fonts anywhere on their computer.

Alexio 10 years ago

There is a software called Font Manager that allows the user to: preview and compare installed fonts, easily install or remove fonts, easily activate and de-activate installed fonts, specify different directories to search for fonts, group fonts into "Collections", easily activate or de-activate groups of fonts, export "Collections" to an archive for easy backup, sharing. It also provides quick access to all GNOME font utilities.

RayWoods 10 years ago

Yes, in my opinion a simple solution would benefit Mint and its ease of operation. Perhaps the Icon/GUI should be located in the Control Centre and not "hidden" amongst the other applications.

thx1138 10 years ago

Agreed.
There's no font manager imstalled by default.