They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back
Written by:
tgp1994
Score: 9
votes: 15
Format: Article

How to enable your Floppy driver.

After about half a day of trying to figure out why my floppy drive would not mount in Mint, it turns out that the good people at Ubuntu decided to disable the floppy module from loading at startup. Now, some users may not notice this change at all, since they don't use their floppy drive. However, those of us that do, will also tear out hair, until we stumble across this solution. To paraphrase the solution, here is what you must do:

1. 1. Open up your favorite text editor as root, and edit /etc/fstab
  2. 2. Comment out the line that mentions your floppy device. For example, here is mine after the fact:
    #/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 vfat users,noauto 0 0
  3. 3. You may now mount your floppy. (If it doesn't show up in nautilus, type the following into a terminal: sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0) (If that reports an unknown filesystem, then type sudo mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0)
  4. 4. If you ever need to delete a file from the floppy, it is best to press Shift + delete rather than just pressing delete. This will permenantly remove the selected file(s), rather than sending them to a trash bin hidden on the floppy.

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions or comments, please contact me.

Tags: floppy not mounting
Created: 4 years ago.
Last edited: 4 years ago.
Read 1199 times.

Comments
3 years ago

Qruqs
Not using the floppy drive much anymore, but if I ever need to fetch something old, I now know how to get it working.  
4 years ago

tgp1994
Vote for being tutorial #101 :D  
4 years ago

tgp1994
Sorry for the double numbers, must be a bug in the text editor.  

Other tutorials from tgp1994

No other tutorials.