7 essential apps

geoffm
  11 years ago

Some handy applications you might not know:

• Easystroke You can assign system-wide mouse gestures to commands and keyboard shortcuts. I use it for a lot of interface functions: close program, close tab. minimize, maximise, go back, go forward, go up, refresh, etc. So efficient, when you get on computers that don't have this, you suffer.
  • Guake: a "drop-down terminal". Assign a keyboard shortcut ([Shift][Alt][S] in my case) to toggling the terminal's visibility. Instantly access your terminal all the time, dont loose your windows, etc! (on KDE try yakuake!)
  • There's a lot more stuff you can customize that's not in the numerous "System settings" sub-applications. install dconf-editor and playaround in it. Make sure you checkout the org.gnome directory, but browser around because nice tweaks are hidden here and there
  • For a good note-tacking application or general content / tasks organizer, try Zim wiki. I've tried several note-taking applications before settling on this one, I use it professionnaly at work to keep organized. One of my best productivity assets.
  • Don't like evince's limited interface? For a more decent PDF viewer, try okular. It doesn't require a lot of KDE packages. If you want the best of the best, try running PDF-Xchange Viewer in Wine.
  • Disapointed of transmission's primitivity? Miss Window's µtorrent? Try Deluge! Very efficient yet simple GTK+ bit torrent client with a neat interface.
  • For a better calculator, try speedcrunch. It has a multi-line output that keeps a history of your operations.
Comments
geoffm 11 years ago

Indeed it's not a tutorial. I would have put it in "favorite apps" but the feature isn't implemented yet.

remoulder 11 years ago

This is personal opinion not a tutorial