Burning a DVD via Terminal using "growisofs" command

Thinker
  11 years ago

I have tried several DVD burners in Linux but neither of them was able to burn DVD properly either due to bugs in softwares or due to lack of hardware compatibility. Even I have tried DVD burning using wodim in terminal but the problem was not solved. At last I was able to burn DVD successfully using growisofs command. So I am writing this tutorial and I hope it might help someone who faces similar problem as mine.

BURNING A MULTISESSION DVD

Multisession disc is that one in which data can be added again if free space is available. In other words, if we add 1 GB data one time and burn DVD, we can add more data to it next time untill the disc is full.

1.To burn a disk first time i.e. to burn a blank DVD,

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -r -J /path/to/files

where /dev/sr0 corresponds to mount point of your disc. On my computer it was sr0, so I am using it in this tutorial.  It may be /dev/cdrom, /dev/sg1, /dev/cdrw or some other which may vary according to your system. Please find correct mount point using commands like df or some other command that you know.

/path/to/files corresponds to exact path where files are located.

Example: To burn contents of a folder named mint1 on desktop, type

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -r -J /home/user_name/Desktop/mint1

This will burn files and folders contained in mint1 located at desktop but note that it will not burn parent folder  mint1

2. To continue a multisession disc,

growisofs -M /dev/sr0 -r -J /path/to/files

This will add more files to the disc and previous files will also remain on disc.

CREATE A DISC IMAGE

genisoimage -r -J -o image_name.iso /path/to/folder

Example: To create an iso image having name data.iso of a contents of folder mint1 located on desktop,

genisoimage -r -J -o data.iso /home/use_name/Desktop/mint1

BURN AN ISO IMAGE TO DVD

To burn a disc image to DVD like images of operating systems, type

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=/path/to/iso_file

Example: To burn image LinuxMint.iso located at Downloads folder of a user, type

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=/home/user_name/Downloads/LinuxMint.iso

BLANKING A DVD+RW DISC

To blank a rewritable DVD,

dvd+rw-format -blank /dev/sr0

For further details, type in terminal man growisofs, growisofs --help and man genisoimage

Further improvements and suggestions are truely appreciated.

Comments
aplatypus 8 years ago

Hi -- I think this is a really useful command. I tried-out dvdbackup earlier in the week, and for simple jobs it is nice, easy, no fuss. However I couldn't get growisofs to burn from a folder they way I can burn a disk with brasero?

jim7fl 9 years ago

Very well written, but one typo on Creat a disc image. user_name had no "r"
I realize that is immaterial since you have to replace that with your actual user name, and I never noticed it until I copied and pasted the entire document and did a replace on "user_name" and that one didn't change. LOL.
Thanks for the excellent help.

jahid_0903014 10 years ago

though there are softwares with nice gui, a terminal process is always interesting..