Usb installation method dd

crismblog
  11 years ago

1. make sure you have installed the syslinux package
  2. open a console (terminal) and navigate to the directory where you downloaded the iso
  3. type the command (# is the prompt, type only so that follows): isohybrid linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-32bit.iso or linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-64bit.iso
  4. make sure you know exactly what is the stick (dmesg or fdisk -l commands as root it might help you) and shoot the console command: dd if=linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-32bit.iso of=/dev/sdX
  • where arch corresponds to the version of the image that you have downloaded and /dev/sdX corresponds stick used.
  • ! Warning: indicate the device and not partition the stick. So if you stick is identified as sdb you use /dev/sdb not /dev/sdb1 or anything that indicates a partition.
Comments
kingofnerds 9 years ago

No, the format with dd doesn't matter since dd replaces all content on the usb stick with the content from the ISO, mbr and everything.

crismblog 11 years ago

http://www.zeitoun.net/articles/low-level-format-sd-memory-card-linux/start

Prinny 11 years ago

Good call on the tutorial; I always use DD, as it's more reliable than unetbootin, I've found.

Does the formatting matter though? I always use fdisk to delete any partitions on the stick, and mkfs.vfat to format it to fat32, then DD.

I've always wondered about that question, and never asked it before elsewhere. So maybe you'd know.