They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back
Written by:
Brahim
Score: 4
votes: 10
Format: Article

How to install compiz on Linux Mint 14 Nadia Mate edition:

1- install the followig packages:

- compizconfig-settings-manager
- fusion-icon
- compiz-plugins-extra
- libdecoration0-dev

2- In terminal run "compiz --replace" or run Compiz Fusion Icon and choose compiz as your window manager.

3- Go to Startup Applications click on add and in the name field write "compiz" and in the command field enter "compiz --replace"(without the punctuation) click on Add again then Close. This is to make compiz start automatically on next logins.

4- To stop that high CPU usage run in terminal “mateconf-editor”. When the editor opens go to /desktop/mate/session/required_components/windowmanager and replace "marco" with "compiz".

3- install "dconf-editor" by runnig in terminal:

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

Then press ALT + F2 and run: "dconf-editor", navigate to org > gnome > desktop > vm > preferences and change the "theme" value from "Adwaita" to any other installed theme you want. Remember this because in the same place you can also change the window button layout, among others.

4- Start the Compiz Configuration Settings Manager and check "Move Window" and "Move Window" and  any other functions you want to activate.      

5- To remove compiz with all related packages (dependencies) run in terminal:

sudo apt-get purge compiz compiz-plugins-main-default libcompizconfig0

Warning: Removing compiz also removes the packages unity & ubuntu-desktop.

Warning: Removing libcompizconfig0 also removes ubuntu-tweak.

Thus you will lose the ability to log into the unity or unity-2d desktops if you have them  installed on your Mint.

Note: if you uninstall compiz you have to prompt a terminal and run “mateconf-editor” and when the editor opens go to /desktop/mate/session/required_components/windowmanager and replace "compiz" with "marco".

Note: compiz has been forked for Mate a few months back. You can find it at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=217&t=114613 with a complete tutorial as on how to install it !! Check it out It rocks!! :D

Tags: How to install compiz on Linux Mint 14 Nadia Mate edition
Created: 2 years ago.
Last edited: 1 year ago.
Reviewed: 2 years ago.
Read 0 times.

Comments
1 year ago

xrs1969
compiz works just fine for me on mate and xfce4 as well !! (x64 , not able to test on 32bit)  
1 year ago

other
Note 1:
Mateconf-editor is no longer available in Mint 15 with Mate 1.6.
MateConf has been replaced with GSettings.
We can use dconfEditor or the following command in terminal:
sudo gsettings set org.mate.session.required-components windowmanager compiz

1 year ago

other
Note 2
Compiz has been forked for Mate, but only for x64 architecture.

1 year ago

ericksantana
This tutorial works like a charm!

The lazy dude that commented 5 months ago: Siim0g... your problem can be resolved if you google a little bit instead of having everything served. Here is how to drag, resize or close the widnows you open (Lazy dude):

There is high possibility that you will want to activate a few plugins that provide basic window manager behavior or else you will have no ability to drag, scale or close any windows as soon as compiz is activated. Among those plugins are "Window Decoration" under Effects and "Move Window" & "Resize Window" under Window Management. Ccsm may be used to achieve this. Launch CompizConfig Settings Manager:
$ ccsm
Simply put check marks next to those plugins to activate them.

Most of the dudes that come from Windows OS expect everything to be served for them. I came from windows like a month ago, and im not crying about every single stuff you have to do here... Stop complaining or go back to Windows and sthu...

1 year ago

Nirgal
I have a problem with this: I installed it with few minor problems that got solved, but there's one I can't solve:
All open applications, regardles of the viewport they're open in, show all the time in the taskbar. And if I click on an app that is in a different viewport that the one I'm in at the moment, the cube quickly flips to the viewport in which the program is open.

Am I doing something wrong?

1 year ago

Brahim
I can tell you are using Linux Mint 14 Mate. If you need these animation addons you need to install LM 13 MATE because that package was simply removed from Ubuntu 12.10 repository check this http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/quantal/universe/base/compiz-fusion-plugins-extra. You can check this as well it might help http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=217&t=114613.  
1 year ago

andreya
how to activate burn effect animations on compiz?
i already install compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
but still no burn effect animations

1 year ago

other
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919  
1 year ago

64Mint
This will not work it will if you do not have mate but apart from that a great tutorial  
1 year ago

Brahim
Try to logout by pressing CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and change the sesion. If you can login into another desktop environment simply remove the packages you have installed. If this doesn't work, then try to prompt a terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T then type sudo apt-get remove compiz compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-plugins. Then reboot. If this doesn't do the job then boot into recovery mode then use the root terminal (go to "root") and remove compiz with the command I gave you. Reboot and you'll be fine!  
1 year ago

Argonautilus
Following this tutorial, I just blew my beloved Mint to smithereens. I followed the instructions, rebooted, and what I ended up with is a blank screen, no menu, no nothing, except for one thing: The screen will flip obediently on the Ctrl-Alt-arrow command. But I can't do anything.
Brahim, this is your mess, please advice how to get my computer back. Or else I will have to wipe this partition clean. I can't do anything. ANYTHING! Can I even get a console?
This is written from my Windows partition, just to give you an idea of the misery I'm in right now.
Peace out!

1 year ago

BTjeki
work only 15 menutes or 30 then i get stuck i cant move anything please help me  
2 years ago

Siim0g
Yep, I have. I've also made sure that the Backend, in preferences is set to 'GSettings Configeration Backend'. But the menu and panel still disappear when I run compiz --replace. I still haven't found anything in the mateconf-editor about 'marco', the nearest thing to 'windowmanager' I can find is 'window_manager' in the '/schemas/desktop/mate/applications/window_manager' and '/desktop/mate/applications/window_manager' paths. I don't want to start changing things that I'm not sure of - think I'll give up on compiz for now. And thanks for answer my comment

2 years ago

Brahim
Don't forget to check 'window decoration' in compizconfig-settings-manager under 'Effects' section!!  
2 years ago

Siim0g
Ok - I was wrong (sorry), you do get mateconf-editor via apt-get. But when I run compiz --replace I loose my menu bar. Also I don't have a path location '/desktop/mate/session' when I run mateconf-editor. This tutorial has caused me no end of head-aches.  
2 years ago

Siim0g
Tried this and got as far as run "mateconf-editor" - what does this mean? I have not got this editor. Tried to see if I could get it via software manager, and apt-get but couldn't find it. So what does it mean?  

Other tutorials from Brahim