They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back
Written by:
Brahim
Score: 15
votes: 19
Format: Article

How to Install Tor Browser Bundle On Linux Mint From PPA

What is Tor?

Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known as traffic analysis.
To install Tor browser bundle on Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in it:

1- For 32-bit:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/tor
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tor-browser

Now change folder ownership of /.tor-browser to your current user with this command:

sudo chown -R USERNAME ~/.tor-browser

On Linux Mint 15 change folder ownership of /.tor-browser to your current user with this command:

sudo chown $USER -Rv /usr/bin/tor-browser/

2- For 64-bit:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/tor64
sudo apt-get update

Now change folder ownership of /.tor-browser to your current user with this commands:

sudo chown -R USERNAME ~/.tor-browser

On Linux Mint 15 change folder ownership of /.tor-browser to your current user with this command:

sudo chown $USER -Rv /usr/bin/tor-browser/

For Linux Mint 16, you can install Tor Bundle by simply by running:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/tor-browser
    sudo apt-get update

imagebam.com

Tags: How, to, Install, Tor, Browser, Bundle, On, Linux Mint, PPA, proxy
Created: 1 year ago.
Last edited: 9 months ago.
Reviewed: 1 year ago.
Read 0 times.

Comments
1 month ago

hadikamel
thanks  
3 months ago

ockron
Thanks for the advice!- I followed the instuctions and it worked 100%.
I noticed it installed Tor 3.6.2 and it tells me to update .. Any advice on how I do that?

3 months ago

EmilyWolfess
use the instructions at the bottom for mint 16 if u have 17 and it installs the new version that works nice. I accidentally did the old one first. which still works too  
3 months ago

EmilyWolfess
Ah thank god I found this again I forgotten how I installed it and the method on the torproject site is really bad. BTW yes this works perfect on version 17  
4 months ago

randyf
Does this work on Mint 17?  
4 months ago

paulsinnett
Looking through the directory at http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/tor-browser I found it is expecting precise, so I changed the line in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-tor-browser-petra.list

And the rest worked fine.

I'm curious why the wrong distribution name was picked by add-apt-repository?

4 months ago

paulsinnett
Dis this and got:

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/tor-browser/ubuntu/dists/petra/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/tor-browser/ubuntu/dists/petra/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

5 months ago

kevanf1
This doesn't seem to work in Mint 15. Despite entering the chown dialogue in the terminal the actual download folder that Tor is using is owned by the standard user but is in root's folder system :( It works ok on Mint 16 though.  
7 months ago

thanosfrag
Works perfectly well on Linux Mint 16! Thanks!  
1 year ago

siking
sudo chown -R $USER ~/.tor-browser  
1 year ago

miuchin
Thanks... work fine..  
1 year ago

van_isle_lin
Thank you.  

Other tutorials from Brahim