How to get 32-bit MS-Office 2007 to work properly under Wine on 64-bit Linux

lostpoetjj
  10 years ago

On a 64-bit system it's tricky getting MS-Office 2007, which is 32-bit, to work under Wine. Here is what I did.

Basically I created a separate 32-bit wineprefix for MS-Office. (It's best to have a separate wineprefix for each software package so you can easily uninstall packages. Run 'winetricks' and install a couple of packages if you want to see how that works.)

(Note: I am running Linux Mint 15 Olivia, Cinnamon edition. YMMV.)

1. Create and configure the default (64-bit) wineprefix, in .wine. This can be done in any of the following ways:

• run winecfg
  • run winetricks --gui
  • Menu -> Wine -> Configure Wine

2. Create a separate wineprefix for MS-Office, in wineoffice, and install MS-Office into it. This is done by setting environment variables, so I opened a new Terminal and:

export WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/wineoffice
winecfg                   # creates and configures the new wineprefix
cd /media/jackson/OFFICE12 # the Office CD, previously inserted
wine ./setup.exe

When the 'Install / Customise' screet appears, choose 'Customise' and in the top 'drawer' (Microsoft Office), choose 'Run all from my computer' to make it install *everything*.

winecfg

Under 'Libraries' select 'riched20' and set it to 'Native (Windows). This makes all the apps in this wineprefix use the 'riched20' library that has been installed by MS-Office instead of the default wine version. If you don't do this, Powerpoint and some other things do not work.

3. There should now be lots of MS-Office apps in Menu -> Wine.

1. Make sure you're connected to the Internet.
  2. Run Menu -> WIne -> Microsoft Word and follow the prompts to:
    1. Activate over the Internet
    2. Tell it you don't want to run Microsoft Update.

4. Go to microsoft.com and get the downloads for MS-Office 2007 Service Pack 3. Open a new Terminal and:

export WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/wineoffice
cd Downloads #or wherever you put the service pack file)
wine ./office2007sp3-kb2526086-fullfile-en-us.exe

Comments
rotanibod 6 years ago

installing Service Pack 3 doesn't work for me. After accepting license terms it says "The expected version of the product was not found on the system" and yes, I'm using the correct prefix and architecture. Using wine-2.0.3

m20070 6 years ago

very good and clear tutorial

lostpoetjj 7 years ago

Update 2016-12-24: I have abandoned Wine and am now using VirtualBox to run a Windows virtual machine.

lostpoetjj 10 years ago

thanks misha256. Edited.

lostpoetjj 10 years ago

Thanks for the thanks, people.

MagicMint is correct. I vastly prefer LibreOffice, and open source software in general. However sometimes, particularly when working with client files created in MS-Word, I find it easier to use Word.

jahid_0903014 10 years ago

good tutorial

MarkoSreckovic 10 years ago

Works perfect. Thanks man! :D

antenac 10 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to run Access 2003 on my Mint 12 64 bit, and doesn't work.
This is the message when I try to open or make a new mdb file : http://www.flickr.com/photos/82409734@N05/9524825047/

MagicMint 10 years ago

Forget Microsoft Office — but some times you might need it…

sujitnag 10 years ago

I vote on three point
1) linux mint related--------------------yes
2) contain---------- look good
3) orientation--------------------- ok

sujitnag 10 years ago

yes, @Hammer459 is correct.

but irrespective who and why use this tutorial.
It is a good tutorial.

I always encouraging them, who try to explore Linux.

promote...................

Hammer459 10 years ago

Seems like a good tutorial.
But why go through the effort of installing Micro$oft Word when there are better available for free?