Adding a Canon Pixma MG3250 to Mint 16 Petra 64 bit Cinammon DE

daveinuk
  10 years ago

With thanks to Mark from linuxforums.org.uk for his patience and knowledge in helping me get this working.

The Canon Pixma MG3250 wireless printer is the first wirelss printer I've owned, I bought it on the strength of the available driver support I'd seen on the internet and peoples recommendations of build quality and printing results, so far it has not disappointed and is very quick with great results.

The printer is connected via USB to my desktop, and at the time of writing, the scan feature is only supported by scangear and not simple scan or xsane so I do not have a comparisson to report, but scangear produces results which to me don't need any improvements. My network is Vigin media and I am connected via one of their superhubs.

I will try and reproduce the easiest to read version of how I did it, and provide a link at the end to the original thread which got slightly messy in places!

Firstly, download the .deb software packages:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0100004666/01/cnijfilter-mg3200series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz 

(MG3200 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.80 for Linux (debian Packagearchive))

and

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0100004701/01/scangearmp-mg3200series-2.00-1-deb.tar.gz

(MG3200 series ScanGear MP Ver. 2.00 for Linux (debian Packagearchive))

Now open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get install libtiff4

then

cd ~/Desktop/canon-mg3250

then

tar xvf cnijfilter-mg3200series-3.80-1-deb.tar.gz

then

tar xvf scangearmp-mg3200series-2.00-1-deb.tar.gz

then

cd ~/Desktop/canon-mg3250/cnijfilter-mg3200series-3.80-1-deb

then

./install.sh

You will be prompted to make sure your printer is switched ON and connected to your router, then to hit enter to continue

then enter "2" for "Network" and press enter

It should search and find your printer.

Then follow the on screen instructions.

OK, that's the printer drivers loaded........................................................................................................

one daft thing I noticed that may be obvious to others but not to me was when in the terminal it will prompt - enter the name of the network printer [MG3200series] to which I was typing dave-printer and MG 3200 series printer and then getting errors cos the names not right, not knowing I had to type the one it was OFFERING  in brackets  . . . .if it prompts to type MG3200series then type MG3200series !

.........................................................................................................................................................................

Now for the scanner...

back in a terminal run:

[Select]

cd ~/Desktop/canon-mg3250/scangearmp-mg3200series-2.00-1-deb

then

[Select]

./install.sh

and follow any onscreen instructions.

When finished, see if "Simple Scan" can find your scanner .. or install xsane:

sudo apt-get install xsane

and look for XSane in your menu's

(note: at this point in time SS+XS were not supported, more on this later, possibly it may be when you are reading this, they can always be removed)

At this point I needed to give my printer a static IP address, in order to do this I had to go into the advanced settings on the VM Superhub and change the DHCP address pool settings, they were set from 192.186.0.2 to 254, I changed them from 192.168.0.10 to 254

To do this type 192.168.0.1 (home address of the router) and log in with your username and password, go into advanced settings, and scroll down to DHCP settings, leave the check IN the box that says "Check to enable or uncheck to disable DHCP" and change the range as stated above.

You then need to make some changes to the PRINTERS network settings, you can find the IP of your printer in the routers connected devices section or whatever the equivalent to that is on your router.

Once you have the printers IP, log into to it and go into advanced settings, if you see "Get IPv4 address automatically " is checked, un-check it, and set it to

IPv4 Address:    192.168.0.201
IPv4 Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0
IPv4 Default Gateway:  192.168.0.1

Save and log out/close and restart the router and any pc/device currently connected to it.

Hopefully,  you now have a working wirelss networked printer ;)

To connect to that printer from another desktop or laptop you need to repeat the steps above for installing the printer software for EACH  machine you intend to use. Provided you are connected to the internet, you should just be able to go to either the print icon or file-print and print away. . . . . .

Scanner: In the steps above you already instaled the software/drivers for scanning, as mentioned above, you may or may not be able to use simple scan and/or xsane - In my case at the time I couldn't so instead used the scangear dialogue instead and installed a shortcut to the menu as described below:

To test it works, open a terminal and run

[Select]

scangearmp

When the dialogue box pops up with select scanner you should  get canon MG3200 
series (libusb:003:003) (or similar) already at the top, clicking on update 
scanners list scans away then gives you a second option 
(Canon MG 3200 series  18-OC-AC-F8-5F-B8) which you then select.

Hopefully a scangear dialogue opens up and you can scan! But you need to add this
to the menu so you don't have to keep typing the command into a terminal. 

Open a terminal and run:

sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/scangearmp.desktop

when a blank file opens, make it read:-

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Canon ScanGear
Comment=Scan Documents
Exec=scangearmp
Icon=scanner
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Graphics;Scanning;
X-GNOME-Gettext-Domain=scangearmp

SAVE the file.

At this point hopefully there now a menu item in the same place as Simple Scan called "Canon ScanGear"

And it should work as expected.

If the xsane program doesn't work for you and you want to get rid of the software, either use synaptic package manager or: Open the terminal -

[Select]

sudo apt-get remove xsane

Enter and done !

Hopefully you now have a working wirelss printer available all around the house, further to that I also added the printing facility to my android phone wit the app' PrintBot, excellent easy to use app' just open it up, add in your printers IP in settings and try a test page.

I hope this helps someone, and also hope it reads OK, it's the first Tutorial I've done so don't go too hard

on my layout ;)

Footnote: Original thread here from the linuxforums(UK) forum.

http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=11525.0

Comments
daveinuk 8 years ago

Really glad this helped Lord Mozart! Thanks for letting me know, glad you're up and running :)

Lord_Mozart 9 years ago

10th Jan 2015:
Thanks for this. I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit. I've been trying from last night to install this on my cousin's laptops which are using the same version of Mint as I am. After checking that the printer was okay in a vbox with Windows XP, I tried again in Mint, and pressed the reset button on the printer. After that, the printer setup was straight forward without the instructions you gave: literally plug and play with a USB cable attached. I had to get the user manual to figure out how to set up WiFi, but that worked instantly both on my desktop and his laptop (I'll install it on his other one later when he comes back over to my place). Trying to install the printer with the driver you recommended didn't work for me. sudo apt-get install libtiff4 gives me this error message:

"Package libtiff4 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libtiff4' has no installation candidate"

It seems libtiff4 isn't in the repos, and I coudn't find it anywhere else, so I abandoned that side of things seeing as the printer was already working okay without it. Scanning was a different issue though. I could only get that to work with the file you said to download and install. Scanning still doesn't work in simple scan or xsane, but it does work in Gimp ...which isn't a major issue. The main thing is, it's working: both printer and scanner.

I'll set up the printer on his Wifi network later on this evening. Thanks. :)