Making Scanner working with vuescan

chfa
  10 years ago

<style type="text/css"> P { margin-left: 0.63cm; margin-bottom: 0.21cm; direction: ltr; line-height: 0.49cm; widows: 2; orphans: 2; }P.western { font-family: "Arial",serif; font-size: 11pt; }P.cjk { font-size: 11pt; } </style>

Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark II w/ Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and VueScan

Posted on June 10, 2013 [1]

I have recently bought a Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark II for scanning the picture library of my parents. They got negatives and Dia film so I was in need for a scanner to handle both.

Installing VueScan

Download VueScan, extract and move to /usr/bin. Add user permissions usingubuntu vuescan usb scanner configuration

chmod a+rx /usr/bin/vuescan*

Install Scanner

Hardware installation is easy, just plug in the scanner to the USB port. No drivers required for Ubuntu (in combination with VueScan) but the scanner will not be recognized as long as VueScan is run with super user rights:

sudo vuescan

Add Scanner Permissions

To allow regular users permissions to access the scanner, add the following line to /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules (create the file if necessary):

SUBSYSTEM!="usb_device", ACTION!="add", GOTO="canon_rules_end"

# Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark II

ATTR{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTR{idProduct}="190d", SYMLINK+="scan-canon" MODE="0666", OWNER="<your user name>", GROUP="scanner"

LABEL="canon_rules_end"

Add Your user name to group

sudo vi /etc/group

scanner:119:<your user name>

Restart udev with the following command:

sudo service udev restart

Now, the scanner is available for all users in the scanner group.

URL mentioned:

[1] http://www.olschimke.eu/2013/06/10/canon-canoscan-9000f-mark-ii-w-ubuntu-12-04-lts-and-vuescan/

Comments
chfa 10 years ago

The Original Post was modified - therefore

remoulder 10 years ago

A link to the original post would have been sufficient not posting the content here as a tutorial under your name.