LMDE, intel, nvidia and compiz tips

omns
  13 years ago

A number of people have experienced problems with getting nvidia and compiz to work in LMDE. The following is a brief summary of successful techniques I've tried to get it all working on various machines.

First let me say that I like that LMDE comes without compiz enabled. It makes the live session really responsive and gives you something to think about when you have it up and running. Do you really need compiz at all if you don't use 3D? Gnome composting does a nice enough job if your answer is no. I can take or leave most of it but unfortunately I'm an absolute sucker for transparent menus. I can live without the rest.

Getting compiz to work with intel cards

sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nv

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Reboot or restart X :)

I've also been editing a script originally developed by ikey that does the same job. I'd be interested to know if there are any bugs with it. Testing at my end seems ok :)

wget http://omnsproject.org/scripts/intelfix.sh

chmod +x intelfix.sh

sudo ./intelfix.sh

My nvidia experience

The following is for the 17xx legacy driver but it should be a similar process for the 195xx driver as well. I'm not 100% sure what order I had to install these because of dependency issues but basically I installed the following:

nvidia-vdpau-driver nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-xconfig nvidi-kernel-legacy-173xx-source nvidi-kernel-legacy-173xx nvidi-glx-legacy-173xx nvidi-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms

I believe nvidia-kernel-common and nvidia-vdpau should be installed separately first, then the rest.

Before rebooting remove:

xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and xserver-xorg-video-nv

Reboot into new kernel then run nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings. Restart X.

Testing and starting compiz at logon ( adapted from this post at the LinuxMint forums ).

Test compiz is working by running alt-f2  then the following coomand:

compiz --replace

If that fails run the command in a terminal to get error messages.

Once you are happy with the way compiz is working create a new entry in startupp applications with the same command

compiz --replace

If you're feeling adventurous mmesantos1 and ikey have created a startup script that does a nicer job. Either method will work.

Create and add this script to your startup applications. Don't forget to make it executable.

#!/bin/sh
echo “Get Some”
if [[ `pidof compiz` ]]; then
# compiz running, nuke it.
metacity --replace &
killall -9 compiz
else
# no compiz.
compiz --replace &
fi

N.B. in LMDE the are no options set in the compiz control panel. You'll need to set these up to your liking :)

Comments
Adidi 12 years ago

So mhwelsh what is the good solution for nvidia card now?
I tried with "apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-xconfig" but the black screen makes me think that's not the good solution... :)

mhwelsh 12 years ago

9th July 2011.
LMDE'11'
The nvidia graphics card solution apparently no longer works.
Not all of the packages are still available and there absence seems to kill the new kernel build.
I will be glad to forward more details.

martin welsh

LONNIEFUTURE 12 years ago

It works with 64 bit i installed ubuntu-tweak with it a couple hours ago.

bensoliman 12 years ago

this doesn't work with lmde 64bit, how do i get it to work?
cheers!

omns 13 years ago

@Silent_Warrior, hmm, I don't know why you'd want to run compiz in KDE nor why you'd want to add it to the KDE autostart. KDE is complete enough without adding compiz to it. I think that most people would understand that this tutorial is a designed for gnome.

Silent_Warrior 13 years ago

Hm, no, loading the script on start-up isn't good for a Gnome/KDE dual-desktop system, at least when logging into KDE, and I was unable to hack a solution in. I half-assed a work-around: Disable the script, and put a launcher on gnome-panel pointing to compiz. I'll have to click it every time I log into Gnome (if I want the bells and whistlies), but it's just something I'll have to live with.

digitsm 13 years ago

I should test "azathoth" method later and compare it with the ikey's method :D

digitsm 13 years ago

I made the script mmesantos1 & ikey wrote above (namely thescript.sh), then made it executable by the code
% chmod +x thescript.sh
and added it to startup applications. Now works like a charm

Laurentiu 13 years ago

Very good

ChirmiPlay 13 years ago

I added fusion-icon to the startup apps to get Compiz every time I turn on my PC.

aiacomp 13 years ago

Very good !!!

lleiria 13 years ago

It worked with the Intel card.
But when I run compiz --replace on the terminal, I receive the following error messages:

WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXDestroyPixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!

and

compiz (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/debian-blueish-wallpaper-640x480.png

what is it all about?

Thanks

azathoth 13 years ago

For starting compiz seamlessly, what has worked very well for me is adding:
export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/compiz
to ~/.gnomerc
(I think I had to create it if I remember right.)

rufong 13 years ago

intel card, my only deviation from your instructions, afaik
was enabling gnome compositing a few days ago, before trying thy how-to..

./intelfix.sh: line 17:  : command not found

omns 13 years ago

I don't have an ATI card to do any tests on but this forum post may help :)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=55159&p=319935#p316016

siz182 13 years ago

Any advice on ATI cards?

Deadguy 13 years ago

very nice omns.

racklin 13 years ago

Install fusion-icon and add to start up session is easier then
writing script. BTW, Nice Post!

shantorn 13 years ago

This worked for my laptop flawlessly. Thanks

remoulder 13 years ago

Nice post