Mint 13, 16, 17 Xfce: How to update whisker menu and move categories to the left side

misko_2083
  9 years ago

How to update whisker menu and move categories to the left side

This tutorial is for: Linux Mint 13 Xfce, Linux Mint 16 Xfce and Linux Mint 17 Xfce

First thing you need to do is to add repositories.

Open your Terminal application and type in:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gottcode/gcppa

Type in your root password when asked.

add ppa

Now you need to download the package lists from the repositories and "update" them to get information on the newest versions of packages and their dependencies.

Type:

sudo apt-get update

It's time to update Whisker Menu. Type in:

sudo apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

New version is installed. Log out then log in to reload the Whisker menu.

Right-click the menu icon and choose Properites.

Now check in Position categories next to the panel button.

Now go to the Behavior tab and check in Switch categories by hovering to restore default Menu behavior.

Your new Whisker Menu layout:

You can also change these two options:

Finally you get whisker menu the way it should be.

Comments
shelleyfrank 9 years ago

Brilliant! Thank you very much for this tut. All I now would like to do is to create my own custom category.

wicho240 9 years ago

...and by the way, after installing this tweak, the Whisker Menu opens fast the first time after loading the operating system. It used to take around 3 seconds before installing this tweak; now, it's immediate. Seems like speed has improved with this.

wicho240 9 years ago

Actually, what I did was to configure the power button to shut it down directly. But thanks for the advice.

misko_2083 9 years ago

You're welcome. That's a nice suggestion but I'm not involved with whisker menu development so I can't do anything about that. What you can do is this: right-click anywhere on the panel and then go to Panel>Add New Items, then add Action Buttons. Your username will appear on the menu. Right-click on that and choose move, then move it wherever youl like. When you click on it menu will appear with logg out, shutdown etc... You can use that to shutdown your PC. If you prefer icons right-click>Properites and then change appearance to action buttons. You can select which icons you want to appear on the panel. If you leave shutdown icon you can power off your PC with just one click.

wicho240 9 years ago

This was really useful, one thing I think could be better, at least for laptop users, is to have the option to move log off buttons to the left side of the search field, because it can be annoying to move with the touchpad, and even more when you just want to shut your laptop down.

But above all, it was a really, really nice tweak I was really looking for. Thanks a lot.