How to install Mediatek MT7630E wireless LAN driver in Linux Mint/Ubuntu

jahid_0903014
  7 years ago

Mediatek launched a working driver for their wireless device MT7630E for Linux Mint/Ubuntu which was officially supported only for kernel 3.13 and 3.14. The modified driver I am going to use can be installed upto kernel 4.4.*

Download:

Download the driver from here (It's a modification of the original driver  for easy installation)

Install:

Now follow the instructions below:

1. extract the archive in your Downloads directory (or any other directory).

2. In terminal run:

cd ~/Downloads/MT7630E-release        (change the path if you extracted in another folder)

3. now run these commands one by one:

sudo chmod +x install
sudo ./install

It will prompt for your password. Put your password and wait to finish the installaion.

After installation has been completed the wifi will appear in the networkmanager and bluetooth will be available for use. The driver will load at startup automatically, so you don't need to load the driver every time you reboot.

Links:

1. MT7630E in Github

2. Bug report url

Comments
Theo38610 4 years ago

Thank you ! (Asus S551L + LinuxMint Tara)

Thinker08 7 years ago

If wifi works after installing the driver but bluetooth doesn't, you should check "Readme.md" in driver file directory (/Downloads/MT7630E-release).

There is a instruction how to run a script that turn bluetooth on.
It is good activate kernel repository in software source, script download and patch kernel for you.

Works for me on Asus X550V.

Sorry for my bad english, it is not my native lanquage.

msdn 7 years ago

It works fine for me thanks..
Kernel 4.6.0
Mint 18

jahid_0903014 8 years ago

@FLLM that's odd. Try the dkms install. commands

make
sudo make dkms

@jefreesujit 
something is wrong with your environment (not the driver) i.e it failed even before starting to compile the driver. Better post this at Ubuntu Forums

jefreesujit 8 years ago

Wifi is not working for MT7630E in ubuntu 15.10. I followed the instructions, but it doesnt work.

i got this error.

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=/home/jefree/Documents/new wifi/MT7630E-release/rt2x00 modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.2.0-23-generic'
arch/x86/Makefile:138: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
Makefile:669: Cannot use CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG: -fstack-protector-strong not supported by compiler
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'wifi/MT7630E-release/rt2x00'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.2.0-23-generic'
Makefile:8: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
cp -v firmware/*/* /lib/firmware/
‘firmware/BT/mt76x0.bin’ -> ‘/lib/firmware/mt76x0.bin’
‘firmware/Wi-FI/MT7650E234.bin’ -> ‘/lib/firmware/MT7650E234.bin’
cp rt2x00/mt7630e.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
cp: cannot stat ‘rt2x00/mt7630e.ko’: No such file or directory
Makefile:16: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'mt7630e': Invalid argument
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'mt76xx': Invalid argument

@crack25 
wifi works on the new kernels with this driver, but the bluetooth problem still persists. We haven't found any cause-and-solution for that yet...

Doctor_Che 8 years ago

Wifi is working with LM17.2 (kernel 4.2.0-18) ASUS TP500LN. Bluetooth does not work.

FiretronP75 8 years ago

I just used this for Linux Mint 17.2 on a newly purchased ASUS X555LB-NS51 laptop and it worked for me. Thank you! Quick note: the ./install command also needed sudo.

The driver has been updated and the kernel support has been extended. This driver seems to be installable even in kernel 4.0

jahid_0903014 9 years ago

That's upto mediatek, if they start supporting ubuntu 14.10 then you will be able to do what you want...

It will only work with kernel version 13 and 14......So it will not work on Ubuntu 14.10 which has kernel 3.16

@ freezx,
yeah, many laptops, specially asus laptops are facing that problem. It's because of the main driver is not that resource efficient. You have to wait until mediatek releases an efficient version of the driver.
Bug report for this problem and related discussions

talo 9 years ago

great , very useful!
Thanks!