Rsync to smartphone SD

Davetesc
  9 years ago

Having tried and failed to sync a music folder on my laptop with my new smartphone I found a solution thanks to a post on

http://serverfault.com/questions/54949/how-can-i-use-rsync-with-a-fat-file-system/636319#636319

as this worked for me I tried to post a reply saying thank you which was sumarily deleted for some reason.

Anyway full thanks to a poster called mloskot, whose tip I have used. No credit to myself for this tip but I hope it helps anybody else in the same fix.

From the CLI I wanted to just rsync a folder on my laptop with my phone ( connected via a cable so no networking magic needed ) because the phone uses FAT on its' SD card rsync kept recopying files, using the tips from this post I found that the following command worked a treat and also deletes files from the phone that are no longer on my hard drive.

rsync --progress --modify-window=1 --update --recursive --times --delete "$SourceDr" "$Dest"

Obviously you need to replace $Source and $Dest as applicable as this is the line from my script which now syncs my MP3s from my laptop with my phone.

If this helps you please credt the person mentioned above.

Thanks

Davetesc.

Comments
AshBaby 9 years ago

Very helpful

jahid_0903014 9 years ago

promoted...

remoulder 9 years ago

This is a tutorials area only for linuxmint, all you need to do is provide a link here, you should post any thanks on the relevant forum.