They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back
Written by:
Miquel_Ubuntero
Score: 24
votes: 32
Format: Article

How to install a printer under Linux Operative System with CUPS web utility

CUPS is the standards-based, open source printing system developed by Apple Inc. for Mac OS® X and other UNIX® operating systems like Linux.

The only needed is a web browser and Linux ppd file. Perhaps is needed to verify on your operative system the cups package installed.

Important: This only works on Linux and UNIX O.S. Not for use under Windows O.S.

How to do it:

1.- Open your web browser and got to http://localhost:631/

2.- Press on Administration tap and click on Add Printer. If you’re asked for user and password, type name of user and password of your operative system.

3.- Select Internet Printing Protocol (http) or printer or Other Networks Printers:

4.- On connection tab fill in: socket://hostname

For example, the hostname, could be the IP of your printer.

Something like that: socket://10.34.21.25

5.- At this point you will be asked for Name, Description and Location of your printer. Fill in as you like and press continue.

6.- Select PPD File and browse to the folder on your computer where the PPD File is.

7.- Once you selected it, press Add Printer.

8.- Now is possible to set default options or Query Printer for Default Options.

From now the printer is ready for use. At http://localhost:631 is possible to see Printers installed on your system, configure them and manage jobs.

Tags: printing
Created: 4 years ago.
Last edited: 4 years ago.
Read 1661 times.

Comments
1 month ago

bathwatch
A quick update. I found this article
http://askubuntu.com/questions/456469/printer-samsung-ml-1670-driverproblem-and-missing-rastertosplc and the cure appears to be "sudo ln -s rastertospl rastertosplc". Although the description of ln in its help text isn't easy to follow, it looks as though it is saying when you see param1, use param2. Other forum articles along the same lines indicate that Samsung tend to omit the final c so the commands have to be redirected to correct this. Theproblem is that when I go to /usr/lib/cups/filter and list the contents, there is no rastertosplc so the redirect points to an absent file, and the cure is ineffective.

Where can I get a rastertosplc from, if I add it to the filters manually does it work, and is its absence a bug?

1 month ago

bathwatch
I have two wireless printers, HP 3050 J610 inkjet for smaller prints and Samsung C410W laser for longer prints. I am also just dipping my toes into Linux having been given an unwanted laptop on which I installed Mint 17 V2.
Both printers work on my Windows XP PC and my Windows 7 laptop. My router is never powered off, and it is intelligent enough to remember what IP address it gave to each connected device and to reuse the same address, so effectively the printers have a fixed IP address, even though I have done nothing special to fix them. The router's management page identifies the address allocated to each device.
I followed the Add Printer advice here for the Samsung first. The Add Printer offered me two separate Samsung devices, one with a an obvious Samsung ... name and one with a strange looking name which is the name mr router recognises as being the Samsung printer. I added the Samsung ... name and went through the install and it found the IP address and the install apparently worked, and I sent a test print. It sat there for a while and eventually timed out - Print Failed. So I went through the Add Printer with the name the router recognised (SEC001599E9168F) and it apparently installed, but instead of quoting the IP address the Connection shows "dnssd://Samsung C410 Series (SEC001599E9168F)._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/" (without the quotes which were mine to identify the entire string). Again I sent a test page, followed by a PDF page. The screen showed Print successful but nothing came out of the printer.
A quick check with the network sniffer on the Windows laptop showed that the Samsung is viewable via the router, but is also broadcasting its own SSID wirelessly (apparently to allow direct printing of photos taken with a smart phone according to the Samsung manual), which goes somewhere to identifying why there were two logical printers when there was only one physical device, but doesn't explain Print successful and no output. I deleted the one which timed out and left the other which said it had printed but hadn't.
I then went through the installation process for the HP printer, which also appeared to be successful. I sent the PDF page to it and it printed.
So I have a print capability on the HP printer, which will do for now, but I would like to know what the Samsung Connection string is saying.
Looking around the printing threads in the forums, it appears that others are having trouble with Mint 17 with printers that work on earlier versions so I don't just want to assume it is a problem with the Samsung when it could be a 17 bug. I don't mind running things to obtain diagnostics, but I will have to be told exactly what to type in because I haven't learned the Terminal command line yet. This is day 3 of a newbie's learning curve.

4 months ago

rayxoxo
Worked great. Thanks mucho,
Ray

6 months ago

Angelanna81
Sorry, it didn't work on my system (linux 16 petra, KDE). It say printer is not responding. Do you have any suggestions what I can do? The tuttorial is very clear, so installing it was no problem.

6 months ago

TeddyV
Effortless install. Many thanks!  
7 months ago

renemoreno
This does not work because it does not accept the username and password.

I already did the test with the only username that has my PC and not accept it.

Is there some other user "root"?

9 months ago

Henrigolan
With my Mint 16 Cinnamon 2.0.14, the System Parameter Printer utility was bugging. So I used this CUPS Web utility, and it worked fine. Thanks !
However, I had first to extract the open driver (PPD File) for my printer from the archive in the directory were it was already stored by Mint (/usr/share/ppd/OpenPrinting-Gutenprint/brand of my printer/printer model). Thanks again !

1 year ago

sirfmoyo
thanks, it was very helpful  
1 year ago

sirfmoyo
thanks, it was very helpful  
1 year ago

zaanta
Just want to tell you: this tut was perfect!!
Had my old trusty Epson Stylus up & printing in 4 minutes
thank you :)

1 year ago

saintdanbert
If would be helpful if this tutorial contained one or more links to other information about using CUPS and related linux printing features.

Once you add your printer, CUPS offers a broad set of features to take data from a variety of applications and in various formats, transform that data, and present the appropriate bits for output to the printer devices.

1 year ago

omansoft
I created complete tutorial with pictures here http://linuxibos.blogspot.com/2012/05/seprinters-linux.html
If you having problems with drivers for printers in linux we found driver that works for almost every printer. It is ljet4. read more here: http://linuxibos.blogspot.com/2013/01/driver-that-works-on-allmost-all.html
Enjoy!

2 years ago

stunder
Thanks Miguel I had been trying to get my printer to work for days and this totally helped out.  
2 years ago

pramodmc4u
i am running a live system with no passwords . local host asks for password
what to do.it does not accept blank password

Other tutorials from Miquel_Ubuntero