Cursor theme is wrong color in some applications (MATE)

krow7
  8 years ago

Issue: When running DMZ (black) cursor theme, some applications still have white cursor in MATE Mint 17.1 (possibly in other versions as well).

I my case this happened with QT applications (like qBittorent). As specified by MagicMint (see comments) it will work with other desktop environments (KDE, Xfce, etc). But some KDE apps might still ignore the change, though.
Also (as by MagicMint) this will not work with localy installed themes (aka themes "installed" in the home folder).

Solution: Paste this command in the terminal -

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

It should give you the following options (or something similar):

There are 2 choices for the alternative x-cursor-theme (providing /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme).

Selection    Path                                     Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme   100       auto mode
  1            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursor.theme   30        manual mode
  2            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme   100       manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

Type in the number of the theme you want to use (in my case - 1). Press enter. And start/restart the application you had the issue with.

Hope this helps!

PS. This is my first tutorial, please dont hate cheeky. Any suggestions and/or improvements are welcome.

Comments
MagicMint 8 years ago

Oh yes, it does work. It’s a Debian thing, so it’s pretty independent from the desktop environments. Some KDE apps might still ignore the change, though.

Just one more precision: although it’s a MUST to update the cursor alternative this way, it won’t work for locally installed themes, of course ;-)

krow7 8 years ago

Thanks Hammer. Much appreciated!

Hammer459 8 years ago

Very good example of a good Tutorial. Crisp and clear. Describes the issue and, step by step, how to address the issue.
I do not know if it works since I do not have the issue but I'll promote it because of the other qualities.