Slow file transfer IOMEGA NAS Mint 17.1

crzdcarney
  8 years ago

uper slow file transfer from NAS to linux box.  This is how I fixed it

I am using an IOMEGA NAS, first I had to log into the nas and Enable NFS Service and allow root aaccount access.

Under this tab is gives you the NFS folders path form:  /nfs/FolderName

Next I opened a terminal window and followed these directions:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/209791en

Mounting the Share in Linux

1. On your Linux machine, open terminal.

Make sure you have the nfs-common package installed. Open a terminal window and run:
sudo apt-get install nfs-common

To mount an NFS, you first have to create the folder to which you want it to mount. Type this to create a directory:

sudo mkdir /mnt/<insertfoldername>

Ex.  sudo mkdir /mnt/PlexMedia

Now, once that is created, you can mount the share. Type:

sudo mount -t nfs <IP Address>:/<DriveVolumeName>/<NameofShare> /mnt/<FolderyouCreated>

Ex. from the info i gathered from my IOMEGA NAS  
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.10:/nfs/Media /mnt/PlexMedia

What all this means:
-t : Is used to tell the system that this is just an ordinary mount command. You use this when you do not have the drive information located in /etc/fstab
nfs : Tells the type of share you are trying to mount.
<IP Address>:/ : IP address of the drive you are trying to mount.
<DriveVolumeName>/ : Volume Name of the actual hard drive that you want to mount. This defaults to DataVolume. (my IOMEGA nas default is /nfs
<NameofShare> : The Share within the Volume of the hard drive that you want to mount. (I connected to the Media Share)
/mnt/<FolderyouCreated> : The location to which you want your share to be mounted. Remember that it is the folder that you already created.

Note: This will not create a shortcut on your desktop, nor will it show up in Computer. You will have to browse to the location of the folder. Normally this will be in Computer, under Filesystem and then mnt.

Now for copying the files.  I used Rsync with progress

rsync --progress source dest

Ex.   rsync --progress "/mnt/PlexMedia/Movies/Fight Club (1999)/Fight Club.mkv" "/home/username/Videos/Fight Club.mkv"

Now it is transfering at 60 MB/s instead of 2.08 MB/s

*** Everything is on Cat6 Gigabit connection, the NAS is on a RAID 5, my primary drive is an SSD.  Results may vary. ***
I noticed when I copied a file from my NAS to my Desktop it took for ever.  It was only going at 2 MB/s for some strange reason.  This is how I fixed it.

I am using an IOMEGA NAS, first I had to log into the nas and Enable NFS Service and allow root account access.

Under this tab is gives you the NFS folders path form:  /nfs/FolderName

Next I opened a terminal window and followed these directions:

Mounting the Share in Linux

1. On your Linux machine, open terminal.

Make sure you have the nfs-common package installed. Open a terminal window and run:
sudo apt-get install nfs-common

To mount an NFS, you first have to create the folder to which you want it to mount. Type this to create a directory:

sudo mkdir /mnt/<insertfoldername>

Ex.  sudo mkdir /mnt/PlexMedia  (I have a plex media server)

Now, once that is created, you can mount the share. Type:

sudo mount -t nfs <IP Address>:/<DriveVolumeName>/<NameofShare> /mnt/<FolderyouCreated>

Ex. from the info i gathered from my IOMEGA NAS  
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.10:/nfs/Media /mnt/PlexMedia

What all this means:
-t : Is used to tell the system that this is just an ordinary mount command. You use this when you do not have the drive information located in /etc/fstab
nfs : Tells the type of share you are trying to mount.
<IP Address>:/ : IP address of the drive you are trying to mount.
<DriveVolumeName>/ : Volume Name of the actual hard drive that you want to mount. This defaults to DataVolume. (my IOMEGA nas default is /nfs)
<NameofShare> : The Share within the Volume of the hard drive that you want to mount. (I connected to the Media Share)
/mnt/<FolderyouCreated> : The location to which you want your share to be mounted. Remember that it is the folder that you already created.

***Note: This will not create a shortcut on your desktop, nor will it show up in Computer. You will have to browse to the location of the folder. Normally this will be in Computer, under Filesystem and then mnt.

Now for copying the files.  I used Rsync with progress

rsync --progress source dest

Ex.   rsync --progress "/mnt/PlexMedia/Movies/Fight Club (1999)/Fight Club.mkv" "/home/username/Videos/Fight Club.mkv"

Now it is transfering at 90 MB/s instead of 2.08 MB/s

*** Everything is on Cat6 Gigabit connection, the NAS is on a RAID 5, my primary drive is an SSD.  Results may vary. ***

Comments
jahid_0903014 8 years ago

Now you can put a link to this tutorial in the tutorials section at the forums under the same title. That way it will be found by more people who need specific help about this specific problem...Tutorials section in linuxmint forums

Hammer459 8 years ago

I don't think this is really a Tutorial. It is a solution to a very specific problem and as such it is better suited in the Forums (link at bottom of this page) where you should be searching for solutions to problems.