Fix Google Music Uploads Not Working in Chrome/Chromium

RavetcoFX
  8 years ago

In recent versions of Google Chrome and Chromium, the Google Music app will fail to open the mini player and fail to upload music stating that "This computer is not recognized" on many installs of Linux Mint, Ubuntu and possibly other distro's. This is an issue with chromium trying to look for a sym link in the path "/dev/disk/by-uuid/" that links to "/dev/sda1" which sometimes doesn't exist. It needs to be fixed upstream (You can support this bug report here https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=492174)

At the momment there is a temporary fix that will get it back up and running again.

1. Type sudo ln -s /dev/sda1 /dev/disk/by-uuid/hardcoding_things_is_evil in the terminal

2. Type sudo gedit /etc/rc.local in the terminal

3. And add a line before "exit 0" by typing in ln -s /dev/sda1 /dev/disk/by-uuid/hardcoding_things_is_evil

The First command makes an imaginary link to "/dev/sda1"

Lines 2-3 put the same command in rc.local so it runs at start up and creates that link again so you don't have to manually type it in every time you reboot.

This should get your songs uploading and mini player working again.

Comments
MagicMint 8 years ago

@Hammer459: Me too, I do like it: a symbolic link exists in one’s own imagination only :-)

Bur a fix is a fix is a fix, and not a tutorial…

RavetcoFX 8 years ago

Thanks Hammer459, I posted it there

Hammer459 8 years ago

Good research. I especially like your naming of the symlink :-)
IMHO this is not really a tutorial but rather a solution to a problem and as such better suited in the Forums where users, supposedly, search for fixes to their problem.