Getting VMware Working on LMDE with .38 kernel

LifeInTheGrey
  12 years ago

So LMDE's kernel doesn't have a lot of the virtualization components built-in the same way that Ubuntu/Linux Mint 11 does, so I figured I would provide a simple tutorial about how to do this. On the stock .32-5 kernel, opening VMware for the first time will compile the necessary components for the kernel, however for the updated .38-2 kernel, it will fail because ever since the .38 kernel, Big Kernel Lock has been removed. The fix for this is quite simple, and is as follows:

1) Download VMware Player: https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/p/activate.php?p=player&lp=1

2) install:

- In terminal, type the following commands

cd ~/Downloads

sudo chmod +x VMware*.bundle

sudo ./VMware*.bundle

3) Correct for the kernel lock

- In terminal, type the following commands:

gksudo nautilus /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/

- Open vmnet.tar

- Open the "vmnet-only" folder

- Open the "driver.c" file

- Search (I use Ctrl+F) for "lock_kernel"; there should be 2 instances of lock_kernel, 2 of unlock_kernel

- In each of the 4 instances, change "kernel" to "flocks", e.g. "unlock_kernel" now reads "unlock_flocks"

- Save, and after you save it will ask if you wish to update the tar, and select "Update"

4) Compile the kernel

- Don't be frightened; all you need to do is open VMware and it will auto-compile

- Install your VM

There you have it! Easy way to have VMware Player running on LMDE with the .38 kernel. :)

Edit: unfortunately, VMtools and various other packages do not mesh with the .39 kernel, so looks like this will only work with .38. I'll keep searching to see if I can find the solution for .39, and if I find anything I'll update this tutorial.