Saving the battery life of your Laptop / Netbook and Save our World

kephalian
  12 years ago

Save your Battery, Save Energy, Save our world!

Battery is the most problematic component of any portable device. The Lithium Ion battery comes with a preset life cycle, it can only be used for a fixed number of Charge - Discharge cycles.

1. Never let the battery go empty zero. This reduces the life of battery. Always recharge laptop before it hibernates or switches off.

The 'Memory phenomenon' does not work for Lithium battery and there is no need of Priming the battery. You may end up killing the battery if you try to prime it.

Like wise switch off the laptop if battery runs low and you do not have the charger with you.

2. Use battery life extender software from Samsung.
Download it for N150 Netbook and Windows 7 from here.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/200912/20091204155746562/Battery_Life_Extender_1.0.0.2.zip

Once installed the charge level will be fixed to 80 percent of maximum charge this will enhance life of battey. It is a Windows software, but the modification is at chip level so the reduce charging does work, for linux also.

3. Do not use any photograph for Desktop background or use dark coloured picture. Use a dark or black coloured theme. Most pixels are turned off in Black theme this saves power.

4. Unless you are using WIFI or Bluetooth, better turn it off. This saves power.

5. Do not install any unwanted memory using hog apps like Norton AV. Turn off any special effects, desktop enhancers or screen savers.

Comments
Fonzie 6 years ago

Let me clear something out on LCD screens: They are not build up from (ex.) 1920x1080 lights, instead they efficiently use a few horizontal lights at the borders of the LCD to light the entire screen.
The LCD itself is a Liquid Crystal Display, which can turn under any pixel to block of a bit of red, blue or green light, making colour.
Yes, black colours *do* use a bit more power, because the LCD needs to be powered to block of its backlight, but the difference isn't very big.

On the other hand, lowering the backlight helps a lot! Both theoretically (the lights at the borders consuming less power) and in practise (my notebook runs far, far longer on a dim backlight than on a bright one)

OLED, AMOLED and QLED screens however, work very differently, they do have a separate LED for each pixel and do consume much less power with darker colours, but changes are that any notebook you're using does not have one of those screens. (or in that case, you'd probably know!)

Dr_Krall 11 years ago

"3. Do not use any photograph for Desktop background or use dark coloured picture. Use a dark or black coloured theme. Most pixels are turned off in Black theme this saves power."

Not true. A dark (or fully black) screen use more power then a one with light (or fully white) screen. I know it sounds weird. But today's screens actually has to struggle more (and use more energy) showing dark/black themes and backgrounds.

Here's a proof at Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Syp4uzvcSo

efthialex 12 years ago

@kephalian:
Thanks for the information.

kazztan0325 12 years ago

@kephalian:

I didn't know about that.
Thank you for your information.

kephalian 12 years ago

Yes Linux Mint ROCKZ on Atom Process. This machine has Atom dual core processor.

kephalian 12 years ago

They are my replies to acid comments posted by some 'senior' members of our community.

1. This is a pure Linux tutorial, there is no Samsung battery life software for Linux. If one uses the Windows version, the change in charge set point seems to be at bios chip level, so once set to 80%, the charge level stays the same even when charging in Linux.
Someone should write a program for this in Linux.

2. Processor consumes most of the power, this is correct. Memory consumes lesser quantity of power.

3. Each pixel of LCD screen is like a separate light. Turning it off, by using Black themes, would probably save power.

4. Backlight I agree, is a power drain. Back light must always be turned off when not in use.

Regards

kazztan0325 12 years ago

It is useful as general information about saving the battery life.

By the way, does Mint work on Atom Processor too?

AlbertP 12 years ago

1. Best is to run without battery, and leave your battery 40% charged in the fridge. I always connect the power immediately when the 9% warning appears.
2. I don't use a Samsung computer.
3. Most (if not all) laptops are using an LCD screen, and LCD does NOT save ANY power when it's black. The backlight is always on, and always consuming power on an LCD screen, even if the pixels on top of it are black.
For people with a plasma monitor or an old CRT screen, it indeed saves some power.
4. Agreed. I always turn off my Bluetooth.
5. Transistors always consume power, even when doing nothing. Desktop effects often don't need the graphics card to go into a higher power consumption state. By the way, memory does not consume much power - it's the processor that may consume power when running more program.

Please post about Linux instead of Windows in the future. And also, tell the truth, and not what you think that's true.

blueXrider 12 years ago

Good information though.

remoulder 12 years ago

This is not a tutorial, please post stuff like this on forums