How I keep a clean Linux/Win dual boot

InfamousEric
  12 years ago

Not so much a tutorial as a tip...

I read an article on Raidens Realm, about how updating Windows broke someone's dual boot laptop. I sympathize completely, I can't count how many times I've been disappointed in how Windows handles even the most basic of admin/maintenance tasks. Not that I'm some guru, but I do like to have control over my machine.

Now, this isn't going to be a tutorial, but just a quick overview of how I keep Windows happy, while enjoying the benefits of my favorite Linux distro. This is on my desktop machine, but can probably be replicated on a laptop with an external drive.

What I've done is setup multiple drives, but I control the boot sequence via the BIOS.

I've install Windows 7 on the primary drive, Linux on the secondary drive, and a large storage drive.

Step by Step - very simple...

1) Preformat your drives - I use Parted Magic as my tool box.   

• primary(Win), NTFS
  • secondary(Linux), ext4, swap, 
  • tertiary(Storage), NTFS

Obviously you can define your Linux drive as you desire.

2) In the BIOS, set the boot sequence to boot to the primary drive, install Windows as normal. Set all personal libraries to appropriate directories on the storage drive.

3) In the BIOS, set the boot sequence to boot to the secondary drive, install Linux, Set the GRUB boot sector to this drive, DO NOT put it on the Windows drive. GRUB will recognize Windows and add it to the boot list.

4) In Linux, install NTFS config, set it to automount the storage drive, but leave the Windows drive alone. Linux will save all your setting to the /home directory on it's drive, but you can save all your user files to the storage drive.

That's it, now when doing a Windows update, reset the boot sequence to boot to the Windows drive. it will make all the necessary changes and will not touch the GRUB boot sector, then just set the boot sequence back to the secondary drive when done.

Clean, no conflicts, and Windows can't screw it up...

Comments
kazztan0325 12 years ago

@InfamousEric:

May I ask you a question about 2) ?

I think, for installation of Windows, beginning of 2) should be "In the BIOS, set the boot sequence to boot from CD/DVD drive,..."

Am I wrong?

remoulder 12 years ago

This is meant to be an area to post tutorials useful to all users, this seems to be just notes on how you have setup up your system and not particularly useful to anyone else.