Install package (application, driver, kernel, etc) on system without internet connection using apt-web

lahirdenganselamat
  12 years ago

This tutorial was based on my experience. Apt-web maintained by Fajran and (sort of) well documented (written in Indonesian).

It's really usefull when we try to install software on Linux Mint (same goes to Ubuntu and Debian) but we don't have internet connection. This apt-web will provide us a download link to package binary and all dependency package related to the first package. On other word, we can download and install software just like Windows way (I refer to : go to some web, download blablabla.exe, install on Windows PC).

Here the example:

on this example, we try to install supertuxkart (a kart racing game) on offline Katya

- go to apt-web link on online system

- select base Distro, (Linux Mint 11 was based on Ubuntu Natty)

- select mirror (I prefer Kambing.ui.ac.id, it was an official Natty repo)

- type the package name (supertuxcart)

- click submit

- download all the files offered

- collect all the files on one directory

- move to the target system (the offline Katya)

- install the package :

using Synaptic > Files > add downloaded package > select the folder OR

on Nautilus, right-click inside the folder > open in terminal > type sudo dpkg -i *.deb

- and finally, we got supertuxkart installed

APT-WEB link:

http://apt-web.dahsy.at/

http://repo.ugm.ac.id/apt-web/

Comments
lahirdenganselamat 12 years ago

On my experience, apt-web was useful to install proprietary driver, we just have to get know the package name of that proprietary driver.
To do this, we can pretend to install the driver using additional driver (so we can get the error message containing the driver name (or even better, the url to download it))

blueXrider 12 years ago

@sparx : Your issue has nothing to do with this tutorial. A little preparation on your part would assist the installation. Go to the supported hardware section on the Ubuntu web site and look at what is supported and what isn't.

Linux Mint does not write the drivers for the hardware on ANY PC or Laptop. PERIOD! If you have an issue go to the forums.

sparx 12 years ago

Several times I have started to install Ubuntu on my wife's old HP laptop and given up in frustration shortly into the install process because the installer doesn't support her built-in WiFi card. I think the drivers may include proprietary code, so the Ubuntu installer won't take the computer across the threshold of making the inital Internet connection so the packages can be updated--which is a problem for an OS with a philosophy of updating the packages all the time.

This is an area where Linux Mint can distinguish itself from Ubuntu by making the install process significantly easier and reach out to potential users that have avoided Ubuntu because you have to be an expert just to get it working.