linuxmint-20.1-Cinnamon-amd64-202101051215

clem
  3 years ago
Architecture: amd64
Type: Cinnamon
Comments
clem 3 years ago

The new version works fine and was backported to 20.1. A new ISO is on the way.

clem 3 years ago

OK, it looks like the driver just needs a backport. I'll test the latest package in 20.1 first and then backport it and make a new ISO. It might take a little long since all of this has to happen on the very same machine here (I only have one broadcom test unit) :(

clem 3 years ago

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bcmwl/+bug/1902409

clem 3 years ago

Arf... broadcom fails with 5.8.

enyc 3 years ago

@clem
Yes! I would like to see ISOs nonetheless distinguishable when written, e.g. 20.1.a 20.1.b and so (or dated, in FS label, in both boot menus). Gets confusing later if not..

I would like to see the "boot" option (with newest or default kernel -- I actually like 5.8.0-34 hwe kernel be default when (soon) available.

*AND* -- then below list all kernels as *options* 5.4.0-59 4.8.0-34 5.10.x ... but *importantly* consider taking out "quiet splash" on all non-default options so easy for people to picture the screen on boot failure cases, asked to test them, etc, if we can benefit from that [?].

What about installer -- getting installer to install with the kernel used to boot with?

nb: I understand the updated mesa drivers may improve VLC and otherwise, these will be available for 20.04.2 next month I understand, may or may not cause any issue for installing. In any case, around 20.04.2 may warrant a good time to rebuild image.

clem 3 years ago

I see NVIDIA passed, that's pretty cool. I'll test broadcom.

clem 3 years ago

Hi Enyc,

20.1 passed QA already with 5.4.0-58.

This ISO is distinct from the 20.1 release. It's an ISO which will be superseded by newer versions of itself in the future (for instance maybe when 5.10 becomes available and works with NVIDIA/broadcom). For now its only goal is to boot 5.8 live and post-install.

I left 5.4 in there to make it more flexible. Rather than just replacing 5.4 with 5.8 I added 5.8 on top. But I didn't provide a way to switch to 5.4 from the live boot menu, though booting into 5.4 from isolinux/grub is perfectly possible if you edit the menu at runtime. There isn't much point in booting 5.4 right now since it's the same kernel as in the 20.1 release, but that could change in the future.

Future versions of this ISO could for instance have a newer 5.4 than 20.1, still a 5.8 kernel and even a 5.10 on top. I think we'll always boot the latest in this ISO, but we might provide also boot menu options for the other kernels to troubleshoot compatibility. We'll have to see.

enyc 3 years ago

FWIW,
(1) In both UEFI and Legacy mode, I do not seem to be able to select the kernel to use at the boot-menu.
(2) Booted into live-mode, "ls -l /boot" you can not seem to access the kernel images, broken symlinks etc.
Also, unclear as yet if the semantic is to install both kernels, or only install that which was used to boot the installer (I would prefer the latter, reduces update load down the line).
Note kernel 5.8.0-34-generic may soon appear in focal, would be nice to use that if possible. 5.4.0-59-generic already released and could be now included.
However, mostly to say, keep up the good work, I really expect all the above to be 'fixable', I like this new-kernel option approach combined ISO if at all possible.

enyc 3 years ago

clem: What is expected to be the case in terms of which kernel is installed to installed-system, compared to that which was used to boot the live system from iso? happy to try to test that aspect too...

clem 3 years ago

This ISO is similar to the Cinnamon one which passed QA already. It ships with an additional 5.8 kernel which is used by default.