GRUB is a portable, powerful bootloader. This version of GRUB is based on a cleaner design than its predecessors, and provides the following new features:
- Scripting in grub.cfg using BASH-like syntax.
- Support for modern partition maps such as GPT.
- Modular generation of grub.cfg via update-grub. Packages providing GRUB
add-ons can plug in their own script rules and trigger updates by invoking
- VESA-based graphical mode with background image support and complete 24-bit
- Support for extended charsets. Users can write UTF-8 text to their menu
This is a dependency package for a version of GRUB that has been built for use with the traditional PC/BIOS architecture. Installing this package indicates that this version of GRUB should be the active boot loader.