The most simple method to install broadcom b43 wireless driver in LMDE

adelma
  11 years ago

The most simple method to install broadcom b43 wireless driver in LMDE

This method applies to kernels 3.5 and above and depends upon replacing Debian firmware-linux-nonfree with Ubuntu linux-firmware-nonfree_1.14_all.deb. Follow these steps:

1- Start by uninstalling firmware-linux-nonfree via Synaptic

2- Download Ubuntu linux-firmware-nonfree_1.14_all.deb by another machine with internet connection or by connecting your machine via wired connection or using another USB wireless.

The download link is http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/quantal/multiverse/base/linux-firmware-nonfree

3- Install the downloaded driver via Gdebi or dpkg as follows

dpkg -i linux-firmware-nonfree_1.14_all.deb

4- Reboot your machine and that is all

Comments
maxdule 10 years ago

By far this IS the most simple method I've found - of hundreds of different ideas!

But uninstalling firmware-linux-nonfree has actually fu*** up my graphics driver (ATI Radeon HD4300 series), and Cinnamon would crash every time I logged in.

Although installing this package again (in the end) hasn't messed up wireless, I would still recommend some other method.

@xnorsx
Where do you see "Additional drivers" tab?

dedwarmo 11 years ago

I'm running Linux Mint 14 Nadia. My wireless card is the BCM4331 on a Mac Mini (Macmini5,1). After installing this package I rebooted then I added a line that said simply "b43" to the file /etc/modules. Rebooted again. Clicked on the Wifi icon in the panel in the notification area and chose my Wifi network. Success!

xnorsx 11 years ago

Simple go to Menu/Software Manager/Edit(On top bar)/Software Sources/Additional Drivers/ and check Using Broadcom...... and press Apply no need to use Terminal :)

But you need a other Internet connection active.

adelma 11 years ago

I did this with 3 machines and was successful

remoulder 11 years ago

Ubuntu and debian packages are not binary compatible, do this at your own risk.