A best alternative to minitube as most of the people out there are already using smplayer as their default player.
SMPlayer now includes a Youtube browser which we called SMTube. The code was taken from UMPlayer (developed by Ori Rejwan). This browser allows to search Youtube videos but it's also capable of downloading them.
Please don't install smplayer if you have already the latest version. Just go for smtube.
A very nice alternative to Cheese apps used for accessing webcams. wxCam is a webcam application for linux. It supports video recording (in an avi uncompressed and Xvid format), snapshot taking, and some special commands for philips webcams, so you can also use the program for astronomy purposes. It supports both video4linux 1 and 2 drivers, so it should work on a very large number of devices.
* Frame grabbing using video4linux 1 and 2 api;
* Adjust resolution, brightness, contrast, gamma and saturation;
* Support for some special controls for philips webcam: frame rate, gain and shutter speed;
* Snapshot taking in various formats, including BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIF, PCX, XPM.
* There are graphics effects such color correction, negative, edge, monochrome, upturned, laplacian, and mirror.
* Video recording without audio in an avi uncompressed format: e.g., useful for astronomy purpose (lunar and planetary video recording) because it is totally lossless.
* Video recording with audio, in the Xvid format: it is a lossy video format, but with great hard disk space saving.
* Video recording on movement detection.
No deb package so far. One need to compile it from the source and its too easy to compile as one will find every single dependency via mint repos.
Compilation Instructions is given here: http://wxcam.sourceforge.net/
Its an awesome download manager out there which looks like a complete replica to IDM, plus it does have more features than what IDM provides to us. No doubt from my own experience it is pretty fast atleast comparison to every single linux native download manager out there. The only issue is that it is a bit unstable as only the Beta version is out there but one can use or test it. Very soon they are going to bring a stable release for which I'm eagerly waiting for.
Available for both 32 and 64 bit platforms.
One need to download the deb packages zipped in tar.gz format from http://sourceforge.net/projects/flareget/