How to Fix Evolution bug while using MAPI to connect to some exchange server.

geriatricstone
  11 years ago

Hi Guys,

You may be aware about the terrible bug that Evolution has in its plugin to use MAPI connectivity (not possible to send html format emails or larger emails(text format)).

Going deeper to this issue the symptoms are the following:

To reproduce this issue you do as follow:

1.- you have to create a new account using exchange mapi, in my case was with a 2007 server and then once its created set it as default.

2.- After create the new account you will see that the inbox will be working as expected (receiving emails, applying filter rules, etc)

3.-If you try to reply, forward or even create a new email in HTML format or in plane text format bigger that around 5kb size you will get the following error:

An error occurred while Sending. How do you want to proceed?
The reported error was "Could not send message:
ModifyRecipients: MAPI error MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED (0x80004005) occurred

I am new in lunix environment although I decided to migrate all my business machine to linux mint but I struggled a lot in order to set up my business email with the Exchange Server from work. So I want to show this quick fix which I found on the internet by going deep in all those ubuntu blogs and it took me 5 min instead of re-compile the new version of evolution (which might come soon as stable release).

1st.- Install Evolution as usual (i.e. Software manager).

2nd.- install the evolution-mapi plugin (also possible to find it from Software manager)

3th.- Download from this link the upgrade of the library libmapi0 and execute the debian package (for this you can use the Gdebi package installer)

http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/libmapi0

in the end once that library has been updated you can start evolution normally and use the MAPI connectivity without having any problems. You can do this after or before create your account.

As I mentioned before this information wont be any longer necessary as soon as the new evolution-mapi plugin will be release but for all those who recently moved to linux-mint from windows this could be a quick help.

Regards,

Geriatricstone.

Comments
sujitnag 11 years ago

good modification.
need few addition
1)install Evolution as usual (ALL)
+ add how to install from terminal.

geriatricstone 11 years ago

thanks for the advises Hammer459. I added additional information, i hope this gets better shape and helps somebody else.

Hammer459 11 years ago

Tell more about the problem and background and this has potential to be a great tutorial :-)

geriatricstone 11 years ago

Sorry that the quality is not the best.. it was the first time im sharing something..I just wanted to help someone in case that this information would be necessary. I just fixed this problem today after few months trying all the crazy solutions i founded over the Internet.

sujitnag 11 years ago

this tutorial is not self sufficient.
its only refer few site.
nothing is clear.