Mount Acer Tablet as a USB device on LMDE

zoe_q
  10 years ago

I was faced with trying to connect an Acer BI tablet to my Mint machines as an external storage device, and had to glean this information from the various sources.

Thought I would make it easier for Mint users and save all the searching. There is no reason to suppose this will not work for other troublesome USB devices.

This was done on LMDE but the procedure should be the same on Mint 15

Open a root terminal in LMDE. (In Mint 15 you will have to type sudo in front of every command or type sudo su first to make it stay root).

1) Type the following to install the mtpfs package:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install mtpfs

Next plug the Tablet into your PC and power it up

2)

# lsusb

In the output look for the line that contains ID 0502:3437 Acer, Inc
Take a note of the first part of the ID number, 0502 in this case.

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0bda:0151 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Storage Device (Multicard Reader)
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 045e:00dd Microsoft Corp. Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 V1.0
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 04fc:0538 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd Wireless Optical Mouse 2.4G [Bright]
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 0502:3473 Acer, Inc.

3) I used nano as a text editor, you can substitute an editor of your choice. like gedit, pluma or any other.

# nano /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

Enter the following line in the editor and save.
Note: the {idVendor}=="number" should be the same as number you noted earlier .

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0502", MODE="0666"

5) Now you need to create a mount point with yourself as owner. The mount point can have any name. I like easy to type stuff, so I made it ab1 to save typing AcerB1, the choice is yours.

# mkdir /media/ab1

This following line sets the (user):(group). If your login name is fred change the user:user to fred:fred

# chown user:user /media/ab1

6)

# nano /etc/fstab

Add this line. Note: it should be 'user' but that refused to mount as an ordinary user, that could be a Mate desktop thing, but changing it to 'users' did the trick.

# mount point for Acer B1
mtpfs     /media/ab1    fuse     users,noauto,allow_other      0      0

Nearly done smiley

7)

# nano /etc/fuse.conf

Remove the hash from in front of this line

#user_allow_other

and save

8) Add yourself to the fuse group.

# nano /etc/group

Look for the line starting with "fuse" and put your login name at the end of that line (if it's not already there?).

and save

9) Make sure the tablet is still powered up, connected, and do:

# mount -a

Now the device should show up in your file browser and you should be able to mount and unmount it. If it doesn't, try rebooting. The tab can take a few moments to connect so be patient. Right now I can only transfer files to and from the /micro-SD card I have installed in the tablet, not sure why yet? but still better than no connectivity at all.

Hope that's of some help to someone.

Comments
zoe_q 10 years ago

To clarify, there is no assumution at all, have tested it on LMDE and it does work on two laptops and a tower. The original source of my information was the Ubuntu forums which in turn pointed the Acer forums, I have just written what I had to do to get it all to work with LMDE. Draw your own conclusions about Mint xx

I believe the assumption you allude to, is my refering too working for other devices connected by USB to a Debian system? this was also mentioned in my previous sources as working for other devices. Again hardly a wild assumption.

If am wrong, and you can give me instances, I will gladly alter or whithdraw what I have written.

If it is not even necessary? please give references to the source of your information to enlighten this poor soul.

Also please remember I spent a considerable amount of time searching for this solution, or any solution! I'm only trying to help anyone else that may be in the same situation.

remoulder 10 years ago

You should not assume that what works on LMDE will work on an ubuntu based edition and vice-versa or is even necessary.