Installing Cinnamon 2.0 on Linux Mint 15

linesma
  10 years ago

The release of Cinnamon 2.0 has added some enhancements and optimiztions from Cinnamon 1.8. I have found it to be smoother and snappier than 1.8.  I did the following steps to install this on my copy of Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon Edtition.

WARNING: There have been cases where people have had system instabilities and the install just did not work. If you enjoy playing around with you Linux install, read on. If not, wait for Cinnamon 2.0 to be released with Mint 16 and backported to Mint 13. Before you do anything, back up your data.

Before you start, ensure that you are fully updated by typing the following into the terminal:

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

These next steps are optional, but when I did not do these, I had problems installing Cinnamon 2.0. When it did install, it was very unstable. These will ensure that you have a complete enviroment to install Cinnamon 2.0.

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential

$ sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-headers *

Reboot your machine. Once you have rebooted, fire up the terminal and add the PPA for Cinnamon 2.0 to your sources list. Do this by typing the following:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable

Before you can install Cinnamon 2.0 for the PPA, you need to give it a higher priorirty than the default PPA. This will allow the system to grab the needed files from the PPA. This will also ensure that any updates to Cinnamon 2.0 get installed when they are released. Type the following in the terminal:

$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/preferences

Add the following lines to the end of that file:

Package: *
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-gwendal-lebihan-dev-cinnamon-stable
Pin-Priority: 800

Save the file and now you are ready to install Cinnamon 2.0. Now type the following into the terminal:

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install cinnamon

The computer will now pull the needed files from the PPA and install Cinnamon 2.0. Once the install is complete, you can either log out or reboot. When you log in, choose Cinnamon from the Sessions section on the Log In Screen. If everything worked properly, you now are using Cinnamon 2.0.

Now that Cinnamon 2.0 is installed, ensure that you run the following command to make sure everything is upgraded.

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Enjoy!!

Comments
tonywhelan 10 years ago

Here's my experience doing this:
I think the line "sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-headers *" is wrong, I say no such package in synaptic, and so I skipped it.

After installing Cinnamon and rebooting, you may need to ensure that when you are about to log in you select "Cinnamon" via the Session button.

When I logged in Cinnamon crashed. So I ran update manager and it loaded newer cinnamon/nemo/mdm packages, after which a reboot allowed me to log in to Cinnamon OK (sigh of relief). But for anyone with persistent Cinnamon crashes, it may either be the nvidia driver OR an applet that is not ready for Cinnamon 2.0. If you temporarily rename the ~/.local/shared/cinnamon/applets folder that will disable the applets, and if that fixes your crash problem then you just need to find which applet is the problem. (Simon Wiles' "World Clock Calendar" is one of those, but you can get a later version of it from his github page at https://github.com/simonwiles/cinnamon_applets/blob/Cinnamon2/releases/calendar@simonwiles.net_1.0.zip?raw=true).

I'm not so sure about using the final step "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" - it wanted to update linux-generic, linux-headers-generic, linux-image-generic, xserver-xorg-core and xserver-xorg-video-intel. I felt wary of this as I recall doing something similar on a test machine and breaking it. So I did not do the dist-upgrade.

Machine seems to be running fine but of course it's only my first 10 minutes on Cinnamon v2 so haven't had time to discover any issues yet. Hopefully there will be none.

derekdickerson 10 years ago

I too am in the same boat as nadim.. using nvidia-331 or kernel 3.10.10

"I've try to upgrade my Mint 15 from Cinnamon 1.8 to 2.0. Followed the steps. All done. BUT i'm left with running Cinnamon in software rendering mode. I get errors otherwise. 1. Is nVidia causing the problems ? If yes, how can I can nVidia drivers work on Cinnamon 2.0, please ?"

lenu 10 years ago

afaik i followed the instructions on a laptop (s10-3t) with linux mint 15 - but no luck. trying to log in gives error. first something with "ubuntu" (sorry don't remember) and then in the details: failed to connect to the virtualbox kernel service.

linesma 10 years ago

Thanks! I forgot that command. I edited the tutorial accordingly.

linesma 10 years ago

I am not new to Linux, but neither am I a Linux guru. Let me see if I can help...

Before you do anything, shut your machine totally down and reboot it. Sometimes it seems like Linux needs to settle. If it is still causing problems, it sounds like the nVidia driver is causing problems. I am running the 313 driver from the Device Drivers section of the System Settings. I would check to make sure the Nouveau is not conflicting with the nVidia Driver. Go to the terminal and type:

$ gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf

Make sure the file looks like this:

# This file was installed by nvidia-313-updates
# Do not edit this file manually

blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
blacklist nvidia-173
blacklist nvidia-96
blacklist nvidia-current-updates
blacklist nvidia-173-updates
blacklist nvidia-96-updates
alias nvidia nvidia_313_updates
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

If it doesn't, make it look like the example. Just change 313 to what the version of your driver is, ie 304 or 310. This will make sure that the nouveau driver is not loading. Now reboot your computer. If you have any more problems, here is an awesome guide to the nVidia driver on Ubuntu based systems. I use it as a reference when I run into trouble with nVidia drivers on Mint and Ubuntu.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-ringtail-nvidia.html

I hope this helps you out.

nadim 10 years ago

I've try to upgrade my Mint 15 from Cinnamon 1.8 to 2.0. Followed the steps. All done. BUT i'm left with running Cinnamon in software rendering mode. I get errors otherwise. 1. Is nVidia causing the problems ? If yes, how can I can nVidia drivers work on Connamon 2.0, please ?