install latest eclipse in linux mint
if you want the latest eclipse then go to the eclipse official site:
and then to the downloads section.
now you will see the latest versions available
for now its eclipse kepler 4.3.1 and in the developer builds : eclipse luna 4.4 M4 (21th Dec 2013)
if you go to the above link from linux then you will be presented with the linux versions by default. if you go to the website within other OS, make sure you select the right platform.
then download the right choice of yours ( for me its eclipse standard 4.3.1 or 4.4 M4)
you can select any mirror you like (i downloaded from the main site at canada)
you will see a archive named like eclipse-standard*.tar.gz
1. make a folder
(user is your user name)
or simply create a new folder in the /home/user directory by right clicking with the name eclipse_version
2. extract the archive into this directory with archive manager
tar -zxvf file_name.tar.gz -C /home/user/eclipse-version
now eclipse is already installed, it's in the directory /home/user/eclipse-version/eclipse
to run eclipse from the install directory
go to the directory /home/user/eclipse-version/eclipse
and double click the file "eclipse" and that's it.
to run eclipse from a desktop launcher
right click on the desktop and choose "create a new launcher here"
in name type Eclipse version(Luna) or whatever you want
in command type /home/user/eclipse-version/eclipse/eclipse
you can change the icon by clicking on it and browsing the eclipse icon in
you can add comment if you like in the comment section.
now hit OK.
a desktop shortcut will be created for you.
to run eclipse from the menu
1. in the terminal enter this code:
sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/eclipse-luna.desktop
eclipse-luna will be replaced by your app name
2. copy paste the following lines into the newly opened .desktop file
Comment=Eclipse Integrated Development Environment
user will be replaced by your user name. (must).
For Exec and Icon, the path should be correct i.e you must change "user" & "eclipse-version" according to your path. (must).
in "Name= Eclipse Luna " you can change the name whatever you want.(optional).
in "GenericName" you can put whatever you want. you can cut off this line too.(optional).
save & exit the .desktop file.
a new entry named "Eclipse Luna" will be added in the menu under the programming section.
3. now go to menu->programming->Eclipse Luna.
Enjoy... your eclipse environment....
Tags: install eclipse,eclipse,eclipse luna,eclipse kepler
Created: 3 years ago.
Last edited: 3 years ago.
Reviewed: 3 years ago.
Read 0 times.
|1 year ago||
|Works fine. Got the paths wrong the first time as I extracted it differently. Put it in /opt but with the paths fixed all good.|
|2 years ago||
|Thanks it was really helpful.|
|3 years ago||
Nevermind found this great tutorial
|3 years ago||
|Awesome post, anyway to add it to terminal as well. So I could get it by typing eclipse or eclipse-kepler?|
Other tutorials from jahid_0903014
- Installing softwares in linux
- Share internet from Linux to windows with squid3 proxy server
- Connecting Realtek wireless modems in linux
- Type in your native language in Linux Mint
- Install Matlab in linux
- Adding new item in the menu
- Connecting Zoom Ultra modem in Linux Mint
- install latest Netbeans (7.4) in Linux mint
- Editing fstab to automount partitions at startup
- System Backup: A manual approach
- Share internet from your linux distro to your android phone
- Full system upgrade to a newer release without fresh install
- Dim laptop monitor immediately after the laptop being unplugged
- How to install or uninstall kernel in linux
- How to customize Linux Mint live cd/dvd
- How to install Mediatek MT7630E wireless LAN driver in Linux Mint/Ubuntu
- Installing Teletalk Flash Modem in Linux Mint/Ubuntu
- Installing Unreal Engine in Linux Mint/Ubuntu
- How to make a self-extracting shell script from a TAR archive