Adding new item in the menu
Adding menu item can be done very simply by an application named alacarte or by other similiar softwares.
This tutorial is for those who prefer a more straight forward process without installing any additional software.
the steps are following (I will be creating a menu entry under programming section named eclipse luna) :
1. sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/eclipse-luna.desktop
eclipse-luna will be replaced by your app name
2. copy paste the following lines
Comment=Eclipse Integrated Development Environment
user will be replaced by your user name.
now save and exit.
if the execution and icon path is correct then the entry will be automatically added to the menu under the programming section.
Description of the lines:
- [Desktop Entry] - indicates that this file is a *.desktop file
- Encoding=encoding used
- Exec=path of a binary or script used to start the program
- Icon - path to the icon for the entry
- Type=Application - desktop file is starting an application
- Terminal=false - the program will not run in a terminal
- Comment=comment about the app
- Name= displayed name in the menu
- GenericName=description of the entry
- StartupNotify=false - Startup notification is turned off
- Categories - specifies the categories in which the entry will be placed in the menu (several categories are specified with a semicolon between them, e.g. 'Game;Education')
Tags: add menu item, menu,menu item,menu entry
Created: 3 years ago.
Last edited: 2 years ago.
Reviewed: 3 years ago.
Read 0 times.
|2 years ago||
|o my god ... back to the beginning of computing|
|3 years ago||
Other tutorials from jahid_0903014
- Installing softwares in linux
- Share internet from Linux to windows with squid3 proxy server
- Connecting Realtek wireless modems in linux
- Type in your native language in Linux Mint
- Install Matlab in linux
- install latest eclipse in linux mint
- Connecting Zoom Ultra modem in Linux Mint
- install latest Netbeans (7.4) in Linux mint
- Editing fstab to automount partitions at startup
- System Backup: A manual approach
- Share internet from your linux distro to your android phone
- Full system upgrade to a newer release without fresh install
- Dim laptop monitor immediately after the laptop being unplugged
- How to install or uninstall kernel in linux
- How to customize Linux Mint live cd/dvd
- How to install Mediatek MT7630E wireless LAN driver in Linux Mint/Ubuntu
- Installing Teletalk Flash Modem in Linux Mint/Ubuntu
- Installing Unreal Engine in Linux Mint/Ubuntu
- How to make a self-extracting shell script from a TAR archive