Icons on menu disapperared

ljvillarrealm
  10 years ago

Here's another solution to a bug that really really can make YOU think to re-install linux mint from zero if you don't have patience to learn linux. sad

I think that this one is one of the worst bugs ever for a new user and I would like to say to Linux Mint developers that this should be solved as soon as possible.

I got this solution after two days of work. 

The problem:

OnLinux Mint Petra

I have configured my menu (yes, removing some icons because I'm minimalist) but for some reason the menu editor failed and I couldn't open it again (No matter how many times I clicked to open it. Simply it doesn't work). I restarted my PC and logged in but it's a surprise when I open my menu: There is no icons. 

Solution:

1) Since there is no icons to open a terminal. I prefer to open another instace (CTRL+ALT+F1).

2) log in (normal user does the work).

3) $ cd                                                                           (ensure that you're on your home folder)

4) $ cd .config/menus/

5) $ rm cinnamon-applications.menu                     (remove this file. Since it's broke, it shoul be blank)

6) log off and return to graphical enviroment (CTRL+ALT+F8).

7) Log out your session or restart your computer.

I hope that it could help you. Don't re-install Linux Mint from zero due to this bug. laugh

Comments
MagicMint 8 years ago

Due to a GLib bug, this could still happen in the 17.x Cinnamon editions too. You should be aware that even if the menu editor becomes usable again by following the procedure above, your customizations will be gone :-(

So you better make a backup of ~/.config/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu before this happens !