Connecting Realtek wireless modems in linux
The only thing you need to do to connect a realtek modem in linux is to install the right driver for your device.
First download the latest driver for your device because the driver supplied by default with your modem may be outdated:
run this code in terminal to get the model number:
now you will see a line like:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
here RTL8188CUS is the model number, get yours and remember it or note it.
Now go to this site and download the right driver for your device. search for your model no. and download it from the table which says "unix" . note the supported linux kernel range given. for now the supported kernel range from 2.6.18 to 3.9 for RTL8188CUS.
now check if your kernel is supported. if not, then you might have to roll back to some kernel which is supported (a risky task), because these drivers are greatly dependent on linux kernel version. for now i am assuming your kernel is supported.
code for kernel check:
Now install the driver:
extract the archive.
run these codes one by one:
sudo chmod -R 777 path_to_the_extracted_folder
hint: path_to_the_extracted_folder= ~/Downloads/extracted_folder_name (if the folder is extracted in Downloads)
Now you will be able to see your network card in the network manager....
Tags: realtek, realtek modems, wireless
Created: 3 years ago.
Last edited: 3 years ago.
Reviewed: 3 years ago.
Read 0 times.
No comments so far.
Other tutorials from jahid_0903014
- Installing softwares in linux
- Share internet from Linux to windows with squid3 proxy server
- Type in your native language in Linux Mint
- Install Matlab in linux
- install latest eclipse in linux mint
- Adding new item in the menu
- Connecting Zoom Ultra modem in Linux Mint
- install latest Netbeans (7.4) in Linux mint
- Editing fstab to automount partitions at startup
- System Backup: A manual approach
- Share internet from your linux distro to your android phone
- Full system upgrade to a newer release without fresh install
- Dim laptop monitor immediately after the laptop being unplugged
- How to install or uninstall kernel in linux
- How to customize Linux Mint live cd/dvd
- How to install Mediatek MT7630E wireless LAN driver in Linux Mint/Ubuntu
- Installing Teletalk Flash Modem in Linux Mint/Ubuntu
- Installing Unreal Engine in Linux Mint/Ubuntu
- How to make a self-extracting shell script from a TAR archive