Set number of workspaces on Cinnamon

AT12
  10 years ago

If, like me, you want an environment the most "keyboard friendly" and "mouse free", you probably want to set a number of workspaces by defaut (and set keybindings to access each).

Two possibility :

- on the commande-line interface, simply :

gsettings set org.cinnamon number-workspaces 4

Of course you can change the 4 with the number of workspaces you want.

- by using dconf-editor (install the dconf-editor package if it isn't already) :

go on org, then cinnamon, down to number-workspaces, click the number next, enter the number of workspaces you want and press ENTER.

To apply the change you need to reboot Cinnamon (for example : Alt-F2 and command r).

Comments
gamunu 11 months ago

For anyone new to Linux and Linux Mint Cinnamon Vera. One way to set the number of workspaces is to execute blew command on a terminal prompt.

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences num-workspaces {number}

eg: -

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences num-workspaces 2

LopesLs 1 year ago

In Linux Mint 21.1 "Vera" Mate version, you can do this by opening dconf-editor and update org/mate/marco/general/num-workspace to number what you want.

maxplanck 6 years ago

One solution on Cinnamon 3.6.7 is Ctrl + Alt + Up (arrow key), and then clicking the + on the right of the screen. Also good to note that 'gsettings set org.cinnamon number-workspaces 4' does not work on this version.

BobKay 8 years ago

Once you set the number of workspaces with dconf-editor, is there a way to make that persist over reboots? I've even changed the default value to 4, but it still boots up with 2 workspaces.

iraklisg 8 years ago

@lrice357 I confirm that in linum mint 17.3 you have to go to org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences num-workspaces instead
Also, the gsettings set org.cinnamon number-workspaces 4 didn't do the trick for me...

lrice357 8 years ago

This information is out of date for Mint 17.3. deconf-editor says that this method should not be used on Cinnamon 2.6 and above. It directs you to "Use org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences num-workspaces instead".

Wilhelm_Eberhard 10 years ago

Really helpful! Thanks.