Mount ftp server on your linux Mint

mhajarat
  9 years ago

ftp is one of the protocols to transfer files to your server. You can use ftp client like Filezilla, but you can take it one sdep further and mount that server into you computer, and use your file manager to copy and move files and olders to it, as if you have a cloud drive, just like Dropbox.

here is how to do that:

- you need curlftpfs:

sudo apt-get install curlftpfs

now create a folder wherever you want to mount to it,,,,,,,,, I will use ftpFolder in /home/myname as example, and for the exmaple let me assume my server is NAME.com, my user name to log in is userNAME, and password is passNAME.

- to mount to the folder, in terminal type:

curlftpfs <yourusername>:<password>@<ftpserver> <mnt folder path>

example:

curlftpfs userNAME:passNAME@NAME.com /home/myname/ftpFolder

to auto mount on log in, you need to change file /etc/fstab.

to do that you need to open it with sudo. my fevrote way to do that is using gedit. if you don't have gedit, go ahead and install it first:

sudo apt-get install gedit

Now open fstab:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

add the following line to it:

curlftpfs#<username>:<password>@<server>  <path to folder> fuse auto, user,uid=1000,allow_other,_netdev 0 0

in the exmaple, it will be:

curlftpfs#userNAME:passNAME@NAME.com /home/myname/ftpFolder fuse auto,user,uid=1000,allow_other,_netdev 0 0

I haven't tested much with it, but if you don't want any other users to mount it automatically, try omitting the allow_other.

also if you don't want to hsow the password. you need to create a file called .netrc in the home folder, and place in it

machine <server>

login <username>

passord <passord>

but I use the laptop myself alone, so was not intersetd in these extra secutiry settings.

Comments
mhajarat 9 years ago

Ezaa. Thank you, I started using FireFTP, but it is similar to using Filezilla. I wanted something that integrates with my file manager. curlftpfs is the answer.

Hammer459 9 years ago

Clear descriptive Tutorial. I will definitely test it myself as I use ftp to update my media box