6 years ago
It took me some time but this is how I managed to set it up and running:
1) Open 'Package Manager' and install the following packages:
2) Go to: http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=au&lang=en&prod=hl2135w_us_eu_as&os=128
3) Download the 3 files:
a. Driver Install Tool - which is .gz file
b. Generic LPR printer driver (deb package) -which is .deb file
c. Generic CUPSwrapper printer driver (deb package) -which is .deb file
4) Use 'GDebi' to quickly install both .deb files.
5) Open 'Terminal" and navigate to where: 'linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1' is located. Usually 'Downloads' folder.
6) In same 'Terminal' use the following syntax:
a. gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz
b. sudo su
c. bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* hl2130lpr
7) When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?" Choose Y(Yes) and from the list choose automatic discovery - usually last option.
8) The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is all complete and done and don't interrupt the terminal.
Note: I am not an ace with Linux in general or Mint. Actually I am a noob. I am just a guy that learns it all by himself. If you have something constructive to say, your are most welcome
dd1948 - you probably worked this out by now, but "no such file or directory" from the terminal means that the linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz file doesn't exist in the _current working directory_
this probably means when you downloaded the linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz file, you downloaded it to a folder (or, directory) other than your home directory. A browser will likely put it in ~/Downloads, which is the Downloads folder in your home directory (~ = your user's home directory)
To find the location of the file, open a terminal and type:
find | grep linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz
If it exists anywhere inside your user's home directory it will show you which folder it is in. You need to then use the cd command to change into that folder and then run the gunzip command.
Hi I am having trouble getting my Brother DCP-J315W wireless printer/scanner to work. i followed the procedure you use here but when i put the command
gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz into the terminali get the message 'no such file or directory'. Any idea what i am doin wrong. i am a complete noobie to linux
Any help would be greatly appreciated