Finding and Associating Installed Files

BADAX
  6 years ago

If you are a new Linux user, when using a desktop such as Cinnamon, as I am, and installing from the software manager, a new user has no way to know the directory, to which the files have installed. It is often necessary to find these files and location can be quite frustrating.

I have recently installed Synfig and also installed the example package, but could not access the examples from Synfig. I had to locate such files and here is the resolution that I found acceptable...

1. Locating...
    • Most files are going to be located in the ".usr" folder of the "Home" directory.
    • Go to the ".usr" folder and search for your files using the most likely key words, which in my case the keyword was "Synfig" (this search may take a few minutes)
    • Scroll down the resulting list until you find the likely file or folder
  2. Using the file...
    • You can try double-clicking the file to run it, and if you get an error that tells you that the software does not exist to run the file...
    • If double-clicking does not work, right click the file, instead, and choose "Open With/Other Application..."
    • Scroll down the list until you find the software name that will open the file (in my case "Synfig") and choose that software name
    • Left click the "Set as default" button

After this, anytime that you double-click on a file with the same extension it will open in the desired software. I hope that this helps smiley

Comments
BADAX 6 years ago

Remoulder... I am poor at coding, and what I have found in reading the forum and other help from the "community" is that those of us who do no, or cannot write code are degraded and shunned by those who do know how to write code. For windows and MAC users, Versions of Linux, like Mint, are getting to the stage of being easier to use out of the box with only minor tweaking, and these people need help as well.

Your comment was not hateful and hurtful like many that I find, and for that, I consider you one of the good guys, but many others try to shame and degrade those seeking help, and never answer their questions. Instead they tell them (somewhat terribly) that another operating system, like Windows or MAC should be their only choices, and leave it at that. This sort of behavior disgusts me, and I expect that by sharing a solution that I stumbled upon instead of being more traditional by writing some elegant code as a solution, that I will attract some of the bad players, and that is OK if what I share helps someone else. Again, I do not consider you one of these bad players, as you have not berated me for my ignorance, but only voiced an opinion of my bumbling inclusion.

remoulder 6 years ago

This is not a tutorial and is generally poor. If you are new to linux, you should learn how to use it yourself before giving incorrect advice to others