VFIO passthrough or running a Windows 10 gaming VM

powerhouse
  1 month ago

Linux Mint offers (almost) everything one may wish from a modern operating system. However, many software vendors haven't embraced Linux yet. Sometimes Wine comes to the rescue, but often enough there is no easy solution to run Windows software under Linux.

This tutorial is for people who require Windows to run applications such as games that aren't available under Linux, or software like Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop that only works (well) under Windows. If you are currently dual-booting, then this might be the way out.

Warning:The tutorial is intended for users who are familiar with Linux. At the very least, create a complete backup of your disks and make sure you know how to restore the backup if and when needed.

Your hardware must meet the following requirements, at the very least:

1. IOMMU support: In Intel slang it's called VT-d, AMD calls it SVM or AMD-Vi.

2. Dedicated GPU for your Windows 10 guest, supporting UEFI.

3. Motherboard that supports IOMMU.

4. Sufficient disk space to hold a fully functional Windows 10 system.

Even if your PC meets the above requirements, it's no guarantee that the tutorial or the underlying technology (VFIO or VGA passthrough) will work for you. If you currently run Windows under VirtualBox and it meets your requirements, do yourself a favor and stick with it.

The tutorial is lengthy and includes a trouble shooting section as well as links to external resources additional tutorials. I'm hosting it on my own website here: Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough

I hope you find it helpfull.

Comments
remoulder 1 month ago

This is not a tutorial and is self-promotional, please advertise your website elsewhere