How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20

clem
  3 years ago
Comments
OdysseusK20 3 years ago

To make the upgrade took me 20 min! But in reality I haven't seen any difference at all yet except the new LibreOffice update...

rch1023 3 years ago

I tried to upgrade; I tried a new install. Neither worked.
What was worst was that I could not restore any timeshift backup. The general complaint related to the lack of a GPT grub partition. After shifting partitions around, yesterday I finally managed to create one, and reinstall Mint 19.3. I gave up on trying timeshift restores.
This has been a most unhappy several days. Ask my wife!

harrold 3 years ago

took three hours to upgrade from 19.3 to 20
now i have lost access to the internet.
next thing to do?
on this laptop it took 30 mins and i am still on the web
oh for confusion
sometimes things work
sometimes they don't. if only i was brainy and could work out what is wrong with the other machine.

Pelep43 3 years ago

It takes me an all afternoon, but the upgrade went very clean and smooth for the first of my 3 laptops, the oldest one. Some "foreign packages" (but not all of them) have been kicked out (I didn't do it), but were easy and quick to reinstall. LM20 is quick, light, and, as always, beautiful.
Many thanks to Clem and the team !
Back soon for the feedback of two others upgrades... (cross fingers)

clem 3 years ago

The tutorial was moved to the user guide. A new section was added to purge PPAs in the preparation step. Another section was added for troubleshooting and to bring solutions to frequently asked questions.

Kermwitt 3 years ago

Upgraded! smooth upgrade... thanks to Clem and all LM's team

rch1023 3 years ago

Some way through my upgrade, I got this>>

The following additional packages will be installed:
libc-ares2 libgamemode0 libgamemodeauto0 python3-grpcio
The following NEW packages will be installed:
adwaita-icon-theme-full alsa-topology-conf alsa-ucm-conf celluloid cryptsetup-initramfs cryptsetup-run gamemode libc-ares2 libgamemode0 libgamemodeauto0 mesa-vdpau-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers python3-grpcio warpinator
0 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 14,2 MB/14,2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 80,8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Ign:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 adwaita-icon-theme-full all 3.36.1-2ubuntu0.20.04.2
Err:2 http://packages.linuxmint.com ulyana/import amd64 celluloid amd64 0.19-linuxmint1+ulyana
Could not resolve 'packages.linuxmint.com'

E: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/adwaita-icon-theme/adwaita-icon-theme-full_3.36.1-2ubuntu0.20.04.2_all.deb Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'
>>

I believe the machine lost contact with the internet. Certainly, on exit from the procedure, I could not access the internet. My internet access is through WiFi: Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter
via a Vodafone WiFi hotspot.
Can you advise me how to progress, please.

frans256 3 years ago

Thanks for the upgrade path and the instructions! My experience and feedback: I've just completed the upgrade. No special issues, however, as upgrade took MANY HOURS, would have preferred a section above describing preferred scenarios. Time and energy considerations would make a clean install preferable! Next, the scenario's described above do not cover some of the paths during upgrade that might be better to shed some light upon. I am pretty unexperienced to might have misunderstood: As i had the "Swap" in encrypted mode (as i tend to choose "encrypted" when possible as a principle), in the "pre-run" as i understood a non-encrypted one was created. However, during the real upgrade, i saw several mentions of "swap missing" which in turn might be the reason the upgrade took so long.. Hopefully this feedback helps to create a better and more fluid instruction & upgrade for others! ;-) wkr, Frans

ricardoslt 3 years ago

Ayudaaaaa

ricardoslt 3 years ago

Help!!!
ricardo@ricardo-Ideapad-Z460:~$ sudo apt-get --fix-broken install
[sudo] contraseña para ricardo:
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Corrigiendo dependencias... falló.
Los siguientes paquetes tienen dependencias incumplidas:
aptitude : Depende: libapt-pkg5.0 (>= 1.1) pero no es instalable
blueman : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
libapt-inst2.0 : Depende: libapt-pkg5.0 (>= 1.1~exp9) pero no es instalable
libapt-pkg-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.1 pero no es instalable
Depende: libapt-pkg5.0 (>= 1.1~exp9) pero no es instalable
libcairo-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.1 pero no es instalable
libcommon-sense-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.1 pero no es instalable
Depende: perl (< 5.26.2~) pero 5.30.0-9build1 está instalado
libept1.5.0 : Depende: libapt-pkg5.0 (>= 1.1~exp9) pero no es instalable
libfcgi-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libfile-fcntllock-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libglib-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libgtk2-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libhtml-parser-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libimage-magick-q16-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.1 pero no es instalable
libio-pty-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
liblist-moreutils-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
liblocale-gettext-perl : PreDepende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libnet-dbus-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libnet-libidn-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libpango-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libperlio-gzip-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libqt4-declarative : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-designer : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-designer:i386 : Depende: libqt4-script:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
Depende: libqtcore4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
Depende: libqtgui4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-help : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-network : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-network:i386 : Depende: libqtcore4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
Depende: libqtdbus4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-opengl : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-opengl:i386 : Depende: libqtcore4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-qt3support : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-qt3support:i386 : Depende: libqtcore4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-script : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-scripttools : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-sql : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-sql:i386 : Depende: libqtcore4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-sql-sqlite : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-svg : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-test : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-test:i386 : Depende: libqtcore4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-xml : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-xml:i386 : Depende: libqtcore4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-xmlpatterns : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqt4-xmlpatterns:i386 : Depende: libqtcore4:i386 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqtassistantclient4 : Depende: libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.1) pero no es instalable
libqtdbus4 : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libqtexengine1 : Depende: libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1) pero no es instalable
libqtgui4 : Depende: libqtcore4 (= 4:4.8.7+dfsg-7ubuntu1) pero no es instalable
libsocket6-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libsub-name-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libtext-charwidth-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libtext-iconv-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libuuid-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
libxml-parser-perl : Depende: perlapi-5.26.0 pero no es instalable
onboard : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
python-gi-cairo : Depende: python-gi (= 3.26.1-2ubuntu1) pero no está instalado
python-pyqt5.qtopengl : Depende: python-pyqt5 (= 5.10.1+dfsg-1ubuntu2) pero no es instalable
python-pyqt5.qtsvg : Depende: python-pyqt5 (= 5.10.1+dfsg-1ubuntu2) pero no es instalable
python-pyqt5.qtwebkit : Depende: python-pyqt5 (= 5.10.1+dfsg-1ubuntu2) pero no es instalable
python-qt4-dbus : Depende: libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0-1~) pero no es instalable
python3-apt : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
Depende: libapt-pkg5.0 (>= 1.6.5~) pero no es instalable
python3-brlapi : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
python3-cairo : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
python3-cffi-backend : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
python3-crypto : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
python3-cups : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
python3-dbus : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
python3-gi-cairo : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
Depende: python3-gi (= 3.26.1-2ubuntu1) pero 3.36.0-1 está instalado
python3-pycurl : Depende: python3 (< 3.7) pero 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 está instalado
synaptic : Depende: libapt-pkg5.0 (>= 1.1~exp9) pero no es instalable
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generó cortes, esto puede deberse a paquetes retenidos.
E: No se pueden corregir las dependencias
ricardo@ricardo-Ideapad-Z460:~$

Dwi_Setiawan 3 years ago

I type apt install mintupgrade
how come it happened like this

Abai: 1 http://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/packages tricia / main amd64 mintupgrade all 2020.07.09.2
Err: 1 http://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/packages tricia / main amd64 mintupgrade all 2020.07.09.2
404 Not Found [IP: 104.22.5.179 80]
E: Failed to retrieve http://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/packages/pool/main/m/mintupgrade/mintupgrade_2020.07.09.2_all.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 104.22.5.179 80]
E: Failed to retrieve some files, maybe want to run apt-get update or try using the - fix-missing option?

please help

sing2330 3 years ago

I found the upgrade somewhat a problem. After 2 hours of upgrade I realised it was repeating the upgrade. As this machine only drives my TV systems I decided to stop it and do a full install which takes far less time. Found that Mint 20 was there on reboot, so I ran the Foreign downgrades. So many of them???? Scary what was going to happen as Google Chrome was my only addition to the mint 19.3 system. Time will tell if everything works or not. Overall it was NOT a smooth transition like mint 18 to 19 was.

www_MKRD_info 3 years ago

I expanded my original comment into a forum post:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=324421
Sorry, too buggy and too dangerous for main computer install.

www_MKRD_info 3 years ago

Step "D6. Delete foreign packages" is VERY dangerous. I installed on a backup computer. A VERY long list of packages were presented as "foreign". Trying to delete them, I got notifications that some are essential to the operating system and cannot be deleted. Meanwhile, trying to bypass these "essential" packages, and trying to remove others from the "foreign" list, I have now broken my system's ability to remove old kernels.
1) This D6. Delete foreign packages step is dangerous.
2) I need to hear a MUCH BETTER explanation of the meaning of this "foreign packages"'; what they are, why it is that I have to delete them, why are ESSENTIAL packages like "mountall", and why are my "third-party installations" are showing up in the list JUST BECAUSE the upgrader removed all third-party PPAs I have previously edited. Why is that I am being told to remove perfectly good third-party software??? Why does the installer have to wipe out third-party PPA sources I have added during previous software installations? IS THERE A STEP MISSING TO RE-ADD PPA's THAT UPGRADE UTILITY HAS DELETED, MANUALLY, BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THIS STEP???
3) As already demonstrated, I have now damaged my OS (cannot delete outdated kernel images due to a libcrypto issue). https://askubuntu.com/questions/1116133/ubuntu-18-04-libcrypto-so-1-0-0-cannot-open-shared-object-file-no-such-file-o

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS AT THIS TIME. TOO DANGEROUS AND TOO INDISCRIMINATE, WIPING OUT PERFECTLY GOOD SOFTWARE THAT I HAVE MANUALLY INSTALLED PREVIOUSLY FROM THIRD-PARTY PPA's.

mariolurbe 3 years ago

I did it, it worked OK
Thanks a lot

fabiosaraiva 3 years ago

Hi Clem and Linux Mint Team. The upgrade was a success. So far so good. Thank you so much for the support.

willendorfer 3 years ago

I tried again, and this time got all the way through the mintupgrade download. To be clear, I followed all the instructions precisely, having updated everything beforehand, pointing to the default software sources, etc, and there was no issue when I ran mintupgrade check. But ... on mintupgrade upgrade (having dropped into console as suggested, the process terminated with an error message as follows:
+Disabling screensaver and power management
cinnamon-screensaver: no process found
light-locker: no process found
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/mintupgrade", line 636, in
upgrader.upgrade()
File "/usr/bin/mintupgrade", line 434, in upgrade
current_desktop = os.environ["XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP"].lower()
File "/usr/lib/python3.6/os.py", line 668, in _getitem_
raise KeyError(key) from None
KeyError: 'XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP'

I've spent way too much time trying to troubleshoot this. Unless Clem or someone can explain what the problem is, I'm just going to have to wait for this upgrade.

JacobHornbeck 3 years ago

Nevermind... I just needed to upgrade one of my packages... now it worked

diapason 3 years ago

I have just done the upgrade without difficulty. All seems well. The only issue is there may be a problem with Evolution email. It works normally with my gmail address but it will not now connect to my principal imap address. The error message is "error performing TLS handshake. A packet with illegal or unsupported version was received". Reinstalling Evolution did not fix it. The Mailspring client is working perfectly with all my email addresses but I prefer Evolution so any suggestions will be welcome.
(Also posted to the Linux Forum).

JacobHornbeck 3 years ago

When I do the command: "apt install mintupgrade", it give this output:
"Err:1 http://packages.linuxmint.com tricia/main amd64 mintupgrade all 2020.07.09
404 Not Found [IP: 68.235.39.11 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintupgrade/mintupgrade_2020.07.09_all.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 68.235.39.11 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?"

What am I supposed to do?

willendorfer 3 years ago

I seriously hope you're not going to say this upgrade is just for Cinnamon, after failing to mention it anywhere on this tutorial page ...

willendorfer 3 years ago

On the mintupgrade download stage, after a very long download, I get this error message. (I don't really want the cinnamon desktop since I use Mate, but I don't want to proceed to upgrade with this error):
E: Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/backport/c/cinnamon-desktop/cinnamon-desktop-data_4.6.2+ulyana_all.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 208.77.20.11 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/backport/c/cinnamon-desktop/libcinnamon-desktop4_4.6.2+ulyana_amd64.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 208.77.20.11 80]
E: Some files failed to download

------------------------------------------------
!! ERROR: Failed to download packages for the upgrade.
!! Exiting.
------------------------------------------------

+ Restoring your backed up APT sources...

MartinEichner 3 years ago

Upgrade from LinuxMint Mate 19.3 to 20 took a while, but worked fine. I had to reconfigure Compiz. Unfortunately, I was not able to get Screenlets running again. I would like to display a monthly calendar sheet and a clock on my desktop, but could not figure out an alternative, so I switched back to 19.3 (also without problems), using timeshift.

AlanG 3 years ago

Some progress. I managed to downgrade/remove foreign packages by doing each one singly. So far as I can tell everything is up to date and working. Time will tell.

TimSC 3 years ago

I hit another problem with a headless upgrade, it wanted to halt postgresql before upgrading libc6 but provided no safe way for me to stop the service (I could not ssh into the box). Nearly borked the upgrade with that one!

AlanG 3 years ago

It was all going so well then kaboom. Upgrade step ran for 30 minutes then a black screen and the PC dead.
Powered it up and up came Mint 20 but on trying to resume/fix the install with
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
I ended up with an error which suggested I ran
$ apt --fix-broken install
I tried that and it just printed the apt usage message.
Now stuck.
If I try the Downgrade foreign packages (or remove) I get the same error message.
It seems to be related to python dependencies(see below)
# apt-get install linux-generic-hwe-18.04-edge=5.4.0.40.43
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
python-apsw : Depends: python (< 2.8)
Depends: python (>= 2.7~)
Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
Depends: python:any (>= 2.7~)
python-certifi : Depends: python (< 2.8)
Depends: python (>= 2.7)
Depends: python:any (>= 2.6.6-7~)
python-chardet : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
Depends: python:any (>= 2.7.5-5~)
python-crypto : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-dateutil : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
python-dbus : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-dnspython : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
python-gobject-2 : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-idna : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
python-libxml2 : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-lxml : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-markdown : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
python-netifaces : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-numpy : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-pil : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-pkg-resources : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
python-psutil : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-pyparsing : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
python-setproctitle : Depends: python (< 2.8)
Depends: python:any (>= 2.7~)
python-sip : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-six : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
python-tk : Depends: python (>= 2.7)
Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-wxgtk3.0 : Depends: python (< 2.8)
python-wxversion : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
python-xdg : Depends: python (< 2.8)
Depends: python:any (>= 2.6.6-7~)
python-xlib : Depends: python:any (< 2.8)
xed-common : Depends: python
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
#
# apt --fix-broken install
apt
Usage: apt command [options]
apt help command [options]

Commands:
add-repository - Add entries to apt sources.list
autoclean - Erase old downloaded archive files
autoremove - Remove automatically all unused packages
build - Build binary or source packages from sources
build-dep - Configure build-dependencies for source packages
changelog - View a package's changelog
check - Verify that there are no broken dependencies
clean - Erase downloaded archive files
contains - List packages containing a file
content - List files contained in a package
deb - Install a .deb package
depends - Show raw dependency information for a package
dist-upgrade - Upgrade the system by removing/installing/upgrading packages
download - Download the .deb file for a package
edit-sources - Edit /etc/apt/sources.list with your preferred text editor
dselect-upgrade - Follow dselect selections
full-upgrade - Same as 'dist-upgrade'
held - List all held packages
help - Show help for a command
hold - Hold a package
install - Install/upgrade packages
list - List packages based on package names
policy - Show policy settings
purge - Remove packages and their configuration files
recommends - List missing recommended packages for a particular package
rdepends - Show reverse dependency information for a package
reinstall - Download and (possibly) reinstall a currently installed package
remove - Remove packages
search - Search for a package by name and/or expression
show - Display detailed information about a package
showhold - Same as 'held'
showsrc - Display all the source package records that match the given package name
source - Download source archives
sources - Same as 'edit-sources'
unhold - Unhold a package
update - Download lists of new/upgradable packages
upgrade - Perform a safe upgrade
version - Show the installed version of a package

TimSC 3 years ago

Error during upgrade:

+ Disabling screensaver and power management...
cinnamon-screensaver: no process found
mate-screensaver: no process found
light-locker: no process found
File "/usr/bin/mintupgrade", line 635, in
upgrader.upgrade()
File "/usr/bin/mintupgrade", line 433, in upgrade
current_desktop = os.environ["XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP"].lower()
File "/usr/lib/python3.6/os.py", line 669, in __getitem__
raise KeyError(key) from None
KeyError: 'XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP'

JacobsMess 3 years ago

When running mintupgrade check I get

Calculating upgrade... Error!
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
libgirepository-1.0-1 : Breaks: python-gi (< 3.34.0-4~) but 3.26.1-2ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
File "/usr/bin/mintupgrade", line 626, in
upgrader.check()
File "/usr/bin/mintupgrade", line 398, in check
cache.upgrade(True)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 385, in upgrade
self._depcache.upgrade(dist_upgrade)
apt_pkg.Error: E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
Error in sys.excepthook:
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 154, in apport_excepthook
os.O_WRONLY | os.O_CREAT | os.O_EXCL, 0o640), 'wb') as f:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/crash/_usr_bin_mintupgrade.1000.crash'

Original exception was:
upgrader.check()
cache.upgrade(True)
apt_pkg.Error: E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

malashonkoff 3 years ago

У меня проверка через mintupgrade check проходит без ошибок, а во время установки ругается на то, что не может запустить xdm.service, и просит запустить его вручную через: /etc/init.d/xdm start. Но ни в ручную, ни через systemctl start xdm.service ничего не запускается. Вывод команды прилагаю:
sudo systemctl status xdm.service
● xdm.service - X-Window Display Manager
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/xdm.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2020-07-10 14:27:56 MSK; 12min ago

июл 10 14:27:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: Starting X-Window Display Manager...
июл 10 14:27:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: xdm.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
июл 10 14:27:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: xdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
июл 10 14:27:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: Failed to start X-Window Display Manager.
i8086@WS-IT-I8086 ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/xdm start
Starting xdm (via systemctl): xdm.serviceJob for xdm.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status xdm.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
failed!
i8086@WS-IT-I8086 ~ $ sudo systemctl start xdm.service
Job for xdm.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status xdm.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
i8086@WS-IT-I8086 ~ $ journalctl -xe
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[10876]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11083]: i8086 : TTY=pts/2 ; PWD=/home/i8086 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl start xdm.service
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11083]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: Starting X-Window Display Manager...
-- Subject: Начинается запуск юнита xdm.service
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
--
-- Начат процесс запуска юнита xdm.service.
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: xdm.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: xdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: Failed to start X-Window Display Manager.
-- Subject: Ошибка юнита xdm.service
--
-- Произошел сбой юнита xdm.service.
--
-- Результат: RESULT.
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11083]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
июл 10 14:41:58 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11974]: i8086 : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/i8086 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/dpkg_lock_check.sh
июл 10 14:41:58 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11974]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
июл 10 14:41:58 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11974]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
...skipping...
июл 10 14:41:55 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[10876]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
июл 10 14:41:55 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[10876]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[10876]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11083]: i8086 : TTY=pts/2 ; PWD=/home/i8086 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl start xdm.service
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11083]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: Starting X-Window Display Manager...
-- Subject: Начинается запуск юнита xdm.service
--
-- Начат процесс запуска юнита xdm.service.
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: xdm.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: xdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 systemd[1]: Failed to start X-Window Display Manager.
-- Subject: Ошибка юнита xdm.service
--
-- Произошел сбой юнита xdm.service.
--
-- Результат: RESULT.
июл 10 14:41:56 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11083]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
июл 10 14:41:58 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11974]: i8086 : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/i8086 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/dpkg_lock_check.sh
июл 10 14:41:58 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11974]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
июл 10 14:41:58 WS-IT-I8086 sudo[11974]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

Подскажите в чём может быть причина ошибки?

FreshMints 3 years ago

Too many errors. I reverted back to 19.3 with Timeshift.

Jul 09 22:45:30 john kernel: Initramfs unpacking failed: Decoding failed
Jul 09 22:45:30 john kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0xfed40000-0xfed4087f flags 0x200] vs fed40080 f80
Jul 09 22:45:30 john kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0xfed40000-0xfed4087f flags 0x200] vs fed40080 f80
Jul 09 22:45:32 john bluetoothd[1223]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Jul 09 22:45:42 john lightdm[2048]: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Jul 09 22:45:42 john lightdm[2048]: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
Jul 09 22:45:42 john lightdm[2048]: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet5.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Jul 09 22:45:42 john lightdm[2048]: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
Jul 09 22:45:43 john lightdm[2145]: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Jul 09 22:45:43 john lightdm[2145]: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
Jul 09 22:45:43 john lightdm[2145]: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet5.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Jul 09 22:45:43 john lightdm[2145]: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
Jul 09 22:45:52 john lightdm[2145]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

SimYo 3 years ago

Checking the upgrade to Ulyana from 19.3 Mate, appears lots of errors:

+ Simulating an upgrade...

Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Calculando la actualización... ¡Error!
No se pudieron instalar algunos paquetes. Esto puede significar que
usted pidió una situación imposible o, si está usando la distribución
inestable, que algunos paquetes necesarios aún no se han creado o se
han sacado de «Incoming».
La siguiente información puede ayudar a resolver la situación:

Los siguientes paquetes tienen dependencias incumplidas:
libgirepository-1.0-1 : Rompe: python-gi (< 3.34.0-4~) pero 3.26.1-2ubuntu1 va a ser instalado
libssl1.1 : Rompe: python-httplib2 (< 0.11.3-1) pero 0.9.2+dfsg-1ubuntu0.2 va a ser instalado
libssl1.1:i386 : Rompe: python-httplib2 (< 0.11.3-1) pero 0.9.2+dfsg-1ubuntu0.2 va a ser instalado
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generó cortes, esto puede deberse a paquetes retenidos.
upgrader.check()
cache.upgrade(True)
Error in sys.excepthook:
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 154, in apport_excepthook
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/crash/_usr_bin_mintupgrade.1000.crash'

Original exception was:
upgrader.check()
cache.upgrade(True)

lealceldeiro 3 years ago

When I check all of the foreign packages installed (from "Menu -> Administration -> Software Sources -> Maintenance -> Remove Foreign Packages") I see there are a LOT of them. I'm able to recognize some of these packages, but I'm not sure about most of them.

So,
- What are the implications of not doing this step?
- What if I remove accidentally a package that is needed by some app later on? Can I recover it? (I guess so, but I'm not sure if it is safe to do so)
- What may be the best way to approach this step?

PS: I asked this here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/q/597716/421977

TimUx 3 years ago

Hi,
got an Error, the mintupgrade script crashed and i had to do then "Source Rollback" manuel via "mintupgrade restore-source"

Here the Error ( sorry in german )

+ Simulating an upgrade...

Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnet... Fehler!
Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
libgirepository-1.0-1 : Beschädigt: python-gi (< 3.34.0-4~) aber 3.26.1-2ubuntu1 soll installiert werden
E: Fehler: Unterbrechungen durch pkgProblemResolver::Resolve hervorgerufen; dies könnte durch zurückgehaltene Pakete verursacht worden sein.
upgrader.check()
cache.upgrade(True)
Error in sys.excepthook:

Original exception was:
upgrader.check()
cache.upgrade(True)
timo@Timo-Mint:~$ mintupgrade restore-sources

caseyin 3 years ago

Works perfectly. My mint version 19.3 was installed a few months ago, that could make the difference.

zoroark 3 years ago

we have to must do D5?

aldi80s 3 years ago

I wanna do the upgrade. But, I have my files in documents, images, and desktop, would be deleted if I upgrade it? Thanks

bileckme 3 years ago

Upgrade worked successfully. Happy with this upgrade.

Waylon 3 years ago

Upon closer examination, it seems that the upgrade removed the "Docky" application dock, and will not let me reinstall it through the package manager. The "Install/Remove" button never appears, just a spinning "wait" icon.

I can't add the PPA to my list; doing so produces this error:

~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/stable
Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support focal''.

Downloading the .deb file and opening it produces this error message:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libconf2.0-cil (>=2.24.0)

...and the install button is grayed out.

Is there a way to reinstall Docky, perhaps by pulling the files from a Timeshift backup, or...? I'd also be open to alternative docks.

linuxmint-is-coool 3 years ago

I get this error when I try to install mintupgrade:
E: Unable to locate package mintupgrade

Namf_Mint 3 years ago

Hello!

The labelling of steps D5 and D6 suggest that those steps should be performed *after* the upgrade. Is that right, though? Should it not be *before*?

Waylon 3 years ago

Thank you for the very detailed walk-through!
I did the upgrade and everything went fine. It was grinding away for ~35 minutes or so, then a reboot or two, and *boom*, it's done. There are some minor items missing from my Docky dock, but other than that things seem to be fine. And maybe it's just me, but everything seems little snappier now.

alnork 3 years ago

There was only a little stumble with the mintupdate but it's ready... A beautiful job, congrats!

boysha 3 years ago

Perfectly fine upgrade. Thanks Clem and Linux Mint team.
Cheers!

cjmsousa 3 years ago

Flawless installation and looking good so far. good job.

TPGladden 3 years ago

Upgrade worked perfectly! Very happy with it, and it was on a rather large and highly customized XFCE system. So far, not a hair out of place. :)

KATAMAPAH 3 years ago

The ones who have problems with apt install mintupgrade, you need to go to your update manager and reset the package sources to default. then you will be able to install the mintupgrade package.

Shadowstreik 3 years ago

$ apt install mintupgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mintupgrade