Epson Artisan 720 Series Network Scanning Linux Mint 10 Julia 64 bit Gnome

bananas4370
  12 years ago

To enjoy scanning over the network using an Epson Artisan 725, just follow these instructions. This procedure would apply to any of the all in ones by epson shown on the Avasys website. I have only tried this with the Epson Artisan 725.

Install the following packages into Mint.

sudo apt-get install libsane sane-utils xsane xsane-common

Go to http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL1.do#productinfo

and grab the essential bits and pieces we need to install. Click on each link and let gDebi install the packages. You'll need to install these in this order -

core package - iscan_2.26.3-1.ltdl7_amd64.deb
data package - iscan-data_1.8.1-1_all.deb
network plugin package - iscan-network-nt_1.1.0-2_amd64.deb

Now we can do some configuring. The first requirement in configuring is to set your router to assign a reserved IP address for the Artisan 725. The printer needs to be able to DHCP this reserved address otherwise none of this will work. Have a look at your router and look for something called fixed leases under the DHCP section.

Once you have that part sorted, we can edit a couple of files. The first file we edit is called epkowa.conf found in the /etc/sane.d directory.

sudo gedit /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf

Add the following line to the bottom of the file and then save.

net 192.168.1.10 1865

Where "192.168.1.10" is the IP address you have reserved for this printer, and the 1865 is the port that the Epson uses.

Next we edit the dll.conf file in the same directory.

sudo gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

Scroll down and comment out the epson2 entry and save. It should look like this -

epjitsu
#epson
#epson2
fujitsu

The final file to edit is the blacklist file supplied from the iscan-data package downloaed from the Avasys website. The Artisan 725 is blocked from working in this file. To unblock the Artisan 725, we need to edit the fs-blacklist file.

sudo gedit /usr/share/iscan-data/fs-blacklist

and comment out the entry for the Artisan 700 series as shown below.

fs-blacklist WorkForce 600
fs-blacklist Artisan 800
#fs-blacklist Artisan 700
fs-blacklist WorkForce 500

Now you scan across the network using xsane or simple-scan. This procedure will most likely work with the printer/scanner attached via USB, except we wouldn't need the network plugin package. I haven't tested this, as the printer is being used by others in the office. Maybe someone with a similar epson All in One could confirm this.

Comments
brendalove 12 years ago

HELLO DEAR HOW ARE YOU DOING?

I am Interested in communication with you
Nice to meet you My Name is Brenda Benson
female single with loving tender heart,my email
address is ( brendabenson03@yahoo.com ) please
contact me here directly to my email address, so
that i can send my pictures directly to you & details
about myself OK. i saw your profile today in
community.linuxmint.com have a nice day bye ! Happy to meet you.thanks
brendabenson03@yahoo.com