.... an attempt to get LMDE working on little hd-space (here-the 4 Gb ssd of the Eee-701) ....

NPFP
  12 years ago

Hello,

this is my first little tutorial-writing, a partially successful attempt to install the advantages of LinuxMintDebianEdition with LXDE on an Asus Eee-701 !

1. Preferably have some other machine with LMDE installed on

2. Download the weekly-snapshot of Debian-Testing (the XFCE-LXDE-cd), burn and

3. boot on the Eee-701

4. important:

apparently due to the special graphics-specification (7"-screen with 800x480) the normal graphical-install of Debian-Testing don't work. You've to choose  "LXDE-advanced-install" (n o t  the graphical-advanced !!), this will lead you to the old-style, well-worked-out ncurses-install !

5. installing:

just answer all the questions by "yes", or take the standard-proposed version (mostly hitting 'enter').

the chapter to put more attention to is the partitionning of your small ssd. I choose, for reason of space-keeping and performance

- manual partitionning

- of course, formatting

- only one partition in ext4-filesystem

- the "noatime"-option (possibly giving some little perfomance-boost)

- no swap-partition (I upgraded the RAM of my Eee-701 from 512MB to 2GB directly after-buy)

- maybe, I first forgot, setting the bootflag for the partition

6. keep going, installing the basic-system (command-line-only)

7. when it comes to the question of adding software/special-features, just leave it as "standard-system" plus "Desktop-Environment"

8. After some 15-20 minutes the whole stuff is downloaded/installed from the formerly-choosen mirror

9.  when in the 'user-name/password-section' of the install, be sure to disable root-account, this will enable the sudo-functionality known from Linux Mint (Ubuntu)

10. Go to your main LMDE-install, plug-in an usb-stick, do "sudo-nautilus" in terminal, go to /etc  , copy the whole directory "apt" on your stick (preferrably formatted in fat32, that way not adding permissions-information), safely unplug the usb-stick

11. Boot into your fresh-installed Debian-Testing, stick-in the usb-stick, affirm the "open-in-window", thus opening the file-manager 'pcmanfm' in normal-mode

12. in the fm-window you wills see your usb-stick withe the copied "apt"-directory from your LMDE-install,

go to 'Tools' , choose "open current folder as root", after entering the password the pcman-filemanager opens another, yellow-coloured window, showing the same but with super-user-permissions (as writing to system-directories), copy the apt-directory to clipboard

13. go to /etc , rename the existing "apt"-folder in "apt.initialinstallbackup" (for example) and paste the formerly copied "apt"-directory, thus having the update- and sources-info's coming directly from an original-LMDE

14. If not already installed automaticely during Debian-Testing-install, get the graphical-frontend for the apt-command, "synaptic" by typing "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get install synaptic"

15. If the 'quick-filter' is greyed-out, non-functional, search for "xapian-~" , install something called "xapian-index" , this will greatly improve instant-search-as-you-type, that way better browsing through the software-repository

16. Look for everything related to "Linux-Mint", install, experiment, have fun :-))  !!

17. You'll have some (kind of) "LinuxMintDebianEdition-LXDE" with lot's of rough-edges but running nearly without glitches on the 4GB-ssd of the aging Eee-701.

greetings,

NPFP (NaivePunkFunkProd.)

Comments
remoulder 12 years ago

This will not give you an installed linuxmint