HDMI sound whit Linux

kruijf
  12 years ago

When you want all your sound from your notebook or desktop you can use this. Its works fine for ATI and Intel, i dont know if it works on Nvidia.

3. aplay -l lists audio devices:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Subdevices: 0/1

...from this, you can see that determine that HDMI out will be plughw:1,3 (that is, card 1, device 3). As mentioned above, it has to be plughw, not just hw.

4. Run sudo alsamixer -c 1

5. There's no option to raise/lower volume, but you can un-mute by hitting 'm'. If you see a box at the bottom of the terminal window with 'mm' in it, you're muted. If it contains '00', you're un-muted.

6. Hit esc to quit.

7. Run aplay on a .wav file to test, like so: sudo aplay -D plughw:1,3 . If your device number was different, use that.

8. Assuming that all works, edit /etc/asound.conf (which may not exist yet), put this in it:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 3
}

Again, use your device numbers. Now the 3200 HDMI is your default audio out.

The Alsa wiki page on Digital Out (http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut#MythTV) was super-helpful.

When you want to change back to your normal default audio, you can use these shortcut.

alias alsalaptop='sudo mv /etc/asound.conf /etc/asoundconfbak'
alias alsahdmi='sudo mv /etc/asoundconfbak /etc/asound.conf'
alias alsareset='sudo service alsa-utils stop && sudo alsa force-reload && sudo service alsa-utils start'

when you type in the terminal terminal alsahdmi and after that alsareset then you switch to HDMI, whit alsalaptop you switc back again.

3. aplay -l lists audio devices:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Subdevices: 0/1

...from this, you can see that determine that HDMI out will be plughw:1,3 (that is, card 1, device 3). As mentioned above, it has to be plughw, not just hw.

4. Run sudo alsamixer -c 1

5. There's no option to raise/lower volume, but you can un-mute by hitting 'm'. If you see a box at the bottom of the terminal window with 'mm' in it, you're muted. If it contains '00', you're un-muted.

6. Hit esc to quit.

7. Run aplay on a .wav file to test, like so: sudo aplay -D plughw:1,3 . If your device number was different, use that.

8. Assuming that all works, edit /etc/asound.conf (which may not exist yet), put this in it:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 3
}

Again, use your device numbers. Now the 3200 HDMI is your default audio out.

The Alsa wiki page on Digital Out ([url]http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut#MythTV[/url]) was super-helpful.[/code]

Het enige is dat je HDMI card nu ook je standaard audio uitvoer apparaat is, dit is op gelost door snelkoppelingen te maken met alias in .bashrc

[code]
alias alsalaptop='sudo mv /etc/asound.conf /etc/asoundconfbak'
alias alsahdmi='sudo mv /etc/asoundconfbak /etc/asound.conf'
alias alsareset='sudo service alsa-utils stop && sudo alsa force-reload && sudo service alsa-utils start'[/code]

Als ik nu in de terminal type alsahdmi gevolgd door alsareset dan schakel ik over naar HDMI, met alsalaptop schakel ik weer terug.

Comments
jason_eit 11 years ago

I used the tutorial, but it only got me halfway. I can play vaw files with aplay and I get sound out from VLC. But the system sounds (login, logout, error and so forth) does not work.

kruijf 12 years ago

I used it on LMDE whit Gnome, but i think it should work on other versions to.
Whit pulse i think you can change alsa to pulse, but i dont know for sure. I dont use pulse it wont work good for me.

remoulder 12 years ago

What version of mint does this relate to? How does it work with pulseaudio?