ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Proprietary Driver for Linux Mint 12

markmb
  12 years ago

Installing ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200 on HP Compaq Presario CQ40-410AU:

Using the default driver that came with Linux Mint 12, I noticed that the screen resolution was fixed to 1024 x 768. During my search, I found a forum that suggested the use of Proprietary Display Drivers for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200.

WARNING: Do not install the ATI/AMD Proprietary FGLRX Graphics Driver from System Settings--> Additional Drivers below because this is unstable and affects the GNOME3 and Cinnamon Desktops.

This is the outcome when this proprietary driver is activated. Menu captions are garbled, and some window contents are warped just like the image below.

Related community post: ATI/AMD Driver causes garbled/malformed/broken menus

Warped System Settings

One of the solution is to use the latest proprietary driver AMD Catalyst Proprietary Display Driver (x86/x64) ver.12.1 (released on 25-Jan-2012) from AMD Support & Drivers site.

If a previous ATI Catalyst (a.k.a. FGLRX) version of this proprietary driver was installed, it must be removed before proceeding with the new version.

Uninstall ATI/AMD Proprietary FGLRX graphics driver:

My first instinct was to go to System Settings --> Additional Drivers and remove the active ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver.

Then out of curiosity, I search "fglrx" from Synaptic Package Manager and uninstall completely the X.org-X-server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver. I'm not sure if this is correct but it seems to work in my HP Compaq Presario CQ40-410AU laptop.

X.org X server - AMD/ATI Radeon Display Driver

After reboot, it appears that I have successfully uninstalled the old and unstable proprietary display driver.

Install AMD Catalyst Proprietary Display Driver ver. 12.1:

1. Download AMD Catalyst Proprietary Display Driver (x86/x64) ver.12.1 from AMD Support & Drivers site.
  2. Right-click the downloaded file amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run then click properties
  3. From file property, go to Permissions tab
  4. Check Allow executing file as program then click Close button.
  5. Double-click the downloaded file amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run then click Run button
  6. Select the option Install Driver 8.93 on X.org 6.9 or later then click Continue button
  7. Read License Agreement then click I Agree button
  8. Select Automatic as mode of installation
  9. Reboot Linux Mint

Additional Reference:

Refer to ubuntu site regarding ATI Radeon installation on ubuntu 11.10.

Comments
Seth-666 8 years ago

But for a ati 6370 M what can i do? when i install default drivers, my screean gets black ... and stays tha way ...

DestinFaroda 11 years ago

Additional input:

In case you have a 64-Bit distribution, you must install the "ia32-libs". This is mentioned on AMD's site and the following tutorial:
http://ubuntutechnical.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/install-ati-official-drivers-in-ubuntu/

NuclearTurnip 12 years ago

Thanks very much, worked for my ATI HD6700 running linux mint x64 desktop :)

chaska 12 years ago

Worked for my HD3000!! Awesome! Great thanks!

fileferret 12 years ago

Worked for my HD3650 !! The menu's were completely corrupted until I read your fix...;o) Thanks so much!

Aelurio 12 years ago

worked on ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370. Thanks.