Install Broadcom BCM4312 802.11/bg Wireless LAN

markmb
  12 years ago

Problem:

After installing Linux Mint 12 on my Compaq Presario CQ40-410AU (x64 bit) laptop, the wireless LAN Broadcom BCM4312 802.11/bg doesn't work out of the box.

Solution:

I found this site, linuxwireless.org, very helpful in solving this problem.

b43 and b43legacy are drivers for the 802.11 B/G/N family of wireless chips that Broadcom produces. The choice of which driver your card uses depends on the revision level of the 802.11 core. If your card is a BCM4306 Rev 2 or only has 802.11b capability, it uses b43legacy. All other models use b43. This number is read by the driver ssb, and the correct choice for your device is made at that point. The drivers are called bcm43xx in mainline kernels, and b43 and b43legacy in wireless-2.6 and 2.6.24 and later.

Note: See also Ubuntu WifiDocs on bcm43xx drivers.

Driver Installation:

1. Open the Terminal window (this is similar to M$ Windows command prompt)

Note: You can access the Terminal application from Menu --> Accessories --> Terminal. Optionally, you can use the shortcut by pressing ALT+F2, type gnome-terminal then press the enter key to launch it.

2. Execute the following command from Terminal window to find out whether your PCI device is supported by the b43 and b43legacy drivers.

Terminal Command:

lspci -vnn | grep 14e4

Result Sample: My Device

09:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

3. Check the result and compare the PCI-ID (highlighted above) of your WLAN device with the driver support table posted on linuxwireless.org

4. Once you have confirmed that your WLAN device is supported, you may proceed to installing the driver by running the following command from Terminal window.

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

Additional Note:

In my case, this command raised the following error...

"An unsupported BCM4312 Low-Power (LP-PHY) device was found."

I was able to fix this by installing the appropriate LP-PHY driver.

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer

Comments
witter 6 years ago

Thank you very much indeed, you have no idea how much your publication helped me, I worked for Debian 9 Cinnamon, it had taken two days to try and until I found your solution works. Thank you very much infinitely thank you.

pablogrod 7 years ago

Thanks a lot, guy! Your instructions helped me solve this problem. And I aint got any error msgs :)

sloshnmosh 9 years ago

In Linux Mint 17 to install Broadcom wifi drivers OFFLINE: dont bother with mindless
modprobes, just reinsert the install disk and browse to /pool/main/e/eglibc and click on: libc-dev-bin_2.19-0ubuntu6.3_amd64.deb and after that installs click on: libc6-dev_2.19-0ubuntu6.3_amd64.deb after that installs browse the disk to:/main/b/bcmwl and install bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.141+bdcom-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb you should now have wifi. This bit of foolishness is probably due to copyright b/s.

m_iqbalid 9 years ago

Worked on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 32 Bit (Lenovo G450)
Thanks

neulich 10 years ago

Worked like this: On a Dell Latitude D520, with mint 15 debian mate, the wireless showed "firmware missing". Just executing "sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer" made all wireless working, SSIDs were visible instantly after executing the command.

muhardo 10 years ago

This tutorial help me out, but when I restart my laptop I got the wireless switch off again (mine not using Fn key). I wonder what is wrong...

Update: I reinstall Linuxmint 15 because somehow I feel something wrong in the beginning of my first installation. When I do, I got my broadcom driver back to unknown state and I run this tutorial, it's a miracle (or not) that it has no more problem like it was (with the hard button disabled after every reboot). Thank you.

jass_hop 11 years ago

Thanks you!!!

traction2012 12 years ago

I used this article to install the software for the Broadcom BCM4312 using apt-get. A first for me and it worked a treat. APT not only fetched the relevant driver but found other, newer, software from Broadcom, which, said APT, would work well with the hardware. Quite exciting for me, as a Linux learner, to actually use the command line so effectively. I don't know where you are located Mark, but in England we have an advertisement with the tag line: "it does just what it says on the tin". So did your tutorial for me. Thank you very much.