Wicd is a general-purpose network configuration server which aims to provide a simple but flexible interface for connecting to networks. its features include:
* wide variety of settings;
* ability to connect to (and maintain profiles for) both wired and
* support for many encryption schemes, including wep, wpa, wpa2 and
* wireless-tools compatibility;
* tray icon showing network activity and signal strength;
* lack of gnome dependencies (although it does require gtk+), making it
easy to use in xfce, fluxbox, openbox, enlightenment, etc.
this is a metapackage, it allows installation of all the components of wicd, including one of the clients, which must be manually chosen.