Creating Application Launcher in GNOME3 Desktop

markmb
  12 years ago

Original Source (helpsite.org): Launcher to Linux Mint 12 Lisa Desktop

Description: A launcher is similar to a desktop shortcut in M$ Windows.

Problem: Unable to create a new launcher from Linux Mint 12 default GNOME3 desktop

Solution: Create a nautilus script

Applies to: Gnome3 Desktop

Instruction:

1. Go to nautilus-scripts directory from your home folder (~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts) and create a new document called "Create New Launcher".

2. Open the file using a text editor like GEdit and type the following commands, then save it.

gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop --create-new

3. Open the file property

4. Go to Permissions tab and check "Allow executing file as program", then click Close button.

Result:

The launcher is now ready. To use the launcher, right-click from desktop and select

Scripts --> Create New Launcher

Sample Launcher Commands:

1. Firefox Launcher

2. Wine Application

Launcher Command:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/mintuser/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\AngryBirds\\AngryBirds.exe

Explanation on Command Syntax for Wine Applications:

The Wine folder is located in home directory. For example, if the user name is "mintuser" then Wine folder is located in /home/mintuser/.wine

This launcher points to wine application "AngryBird.exe" located in wine application folder C:\Program Files\AngryBirds\

Comments
Mintification 11 years ago

I went through a very similar process, and it worked a treat in Gnome3 (although I've switched to LXDE now).

Boringbytes 12 years ago

On Mint 11, I want to create a custom launcher for a program that must be started using a script. This method doesn't work for me.